MBD? Two Baby Beardies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandyjo97

Hello. Our Beardie Pets have had it rough the past few months... First of all, our Big Girl Penny laid a bunch of eggs, of which 10 of them hatched around August 11th. The daddy was close to 12 years old, and we just recently lost him a couple weeks ago due to his old age... The babies all thrived, except for two of them... Around mid September, two of them started flipping over upside-down, having spasms, and no use of their back legs. Through much research, we found that this was likely MBD, and we quickly re-thought everything... We upped their calcium, changed their light, made double sure that their food was the perfect size, and became super cautious when it came to their temperature, and everything...
But here's the thing... Everything we read was about REVERSING MBD. But it hasn't reversed... We live hours away from a Reptile Vet, and really can't afford to go to one. These babies are having normal bowel movements, and eating dusted crickets, veggies, dandelion, and pellets. They are very active, and can drag themselves all over their tank with no problem, and one of them regained the use of its legs, (somewhat) and they don't flip upside down now. They haven't grown like their siblings, and have a definite deformity of their spine, tail, and legs... It is so sad to think we caused this, but so strange that all the others are normal, and that after changing everything, it didn't "reverse"... So now what? Is there a special way we can care for these paralyzed babies, or a way to reverse this disease? How long can one live this way, and will they grow okay? All of our research showed how to quickly reverse it, and stop the process which we feel we did to the best of our ability... But now what?
Just so you know: These two babies are in their own tank, with a Reptisun UVB light, and a heat lamp. Their tank is consistently between 80 and 90 on the warm side. They have never been in sand, they have always been on a reptile mat They get weekly baths like the rest of the babies. Other than their legs not working, and the noticeable curviness of their second half, they act completely normal.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Very likely this is due to an Adenoviruse (AdV)….

If two are showing physical symptoms ==> all the siblings in their clutch are too as are mom and dad , and likely any other reptile you have in the house …. ADV is highly infecious .

Too late now , but you should never have bred the two adult beardies …. carriers can be without showing symptoms for life .

I think you need to take all the hatchlings and the parent and any other pet reptiles to a vet and request testing for ADV.
see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=245675&p=1867896&hilit=adv#p1867896

I also think in all fairness , even if you never knew you were buying/rescuing ADV positive dragons originally, you MUST make if very clear to all prospective buyers/adopters (if you are going to give the hatchlings away) their ADV status so their future keepers/carers will be able to make the necessary adjustments in the husbandry ie

> treatment when they become symptomatic
> lifelong isolation to prevent the spread of AD virus
> no breeding to prevent spread of AD virus.

Please read
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3230843/
https://www.thesprucepets.com/atadenovirus-adv-in-bearded-dragons-1238407
http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Reptile-Health/Habitats-Care/Atadenovirus-This-Disease-Can-Be-Deadly-To-Your-Bearded-Dragon/

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Mandyjo97":2pfljqfm said:
….... The babies all thrived, except for two of them... Around mid September, two of them started flipping over upside-down, having spasms, and no use of their back legs.

.. see my other post

... Everything we read was about REVERSING MBD. Just so you know: These two babies are in their own tank, with a Reptisun UVB light, and a heat lamp. Their tank is consistently between 80 and 90 on the warm side. They have never been in sand, they have always been on a reptile mat They get weekly baths like the rest of the babies. Other than their legs not working, and the noticeable curviness of their second half, they act completely normal.

Drache613 knows a lot more about ADV than I do and I think can help with testing and providing appropriate husbandry support and treatment …. I think you need to find the $ and involve a local reptile vet as well.

I hope i'm wrong .

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, too bad for the little guys but you're doing a god job by trying to take extra care of them. :) The symptoms definitely could be calcium deficiency, and if you say they have slight lower region deformities then it 100 % is. The babies MAY have ADV as well, but the symptoms + deformity mean for now it's MBD.

Can you post pics of their set ups, both the healthy as well as the sickly ones ? Post pics of the babies as well.

One more thing, you do need to get the basking spot temp. up to about 100-105. 75-80 is good for the cool side and it gets warmer toward the hot basking end, so there would be ranges of 80-105 throughout the tank.

Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom