Is this Gout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing today?
The serrapeptase is perfectly safe & better than any anti-inflammatory that he can give you.
It is safe to be given long term. It's just silkworm enzyme, so very natural.
As far as measuring the uric acid, that isn't correct because you can easily read the uric acid
levels on a blood test to see how the kidneys are working. That is a very good determining
factor of gout, or at least compromised kidneys. The CPK levels can indicate muscle trauma &
or injury. It may be elevated simply from stress just by doing a tail stick for the blood test.
I agree, metabolic bone disease is a high probability simply because of low UVB exposure. I think
her calcium levels are probably low because she isn't absorbing it without enough UVB. I don't like
the way those toes are looking though.
However, those toes do look swollen, so, I still think that gout may come into play. Gout can
be caused by malabsorption.
The vitamins can become toxic if there is vitamin A, vitamin E & vitamin D in them. They are
fat soluble & can become toxic.
I wish you knew a strength for the calcium though that is crazy he can't tell you what that is.
Too much calcium can cause organ failure & or calcification of organs, too which is why it needs
to be properly dosed. Bearded dragons are small so you can't just give large amounts of vitamins
& calcium without some risk. Supplementation needs to be given with careful consideration.
You can continue to give the cherry juice & serrapeptase, absolutely, it wont hurt her.

Tracie

Sakai

Original Poster
Hello,

Thanks for the reassurance of the continual feeding of cherry juice and serrapaptase. Daenys has a little more improvement on her movements today! However her toes are still a concern.
92108-36519641.jpg
One of the toes of her left hind leg has actually start to swell up :? but there seems to be improvement on her front legs though. Here are the pics(on the left) from the 15th of August for comparison.
Left
92108-8401508988.jpg
Right
92108-3918281151.jpg

So it's possible she now has MBD, hypovitaminosis A and pseudo gout? ? Her toes do seem swollen from the x-ray, but the doctor kept assuring me that her bone density was the only problem. Both vets Ive been to do seem to think it's MBD developing but I reckon it's because of their little to no experience with gout(just my personal thoughts..) I shall send you the blood works once I receive it.

It would seem that the vets are giving misleading/insufficient information on the administering of calcium and multivitamins. :( My mum was always skeptical with the exotic vets here in our country..
For now, I'll keep providing her time under the sun, giving both the cherry juice and serrapaptase (still looking for allopurinol) daily. But for the calcium and multivitamin, honestly im not sure how much or how often I should be giving her :|

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

No worries about a message posting twice, it happens quite often. I can delete it or just
leave it, no problem.

Tracie

Sakai

Original Poster
Drache613":lm5mn6dq said:
Hello!

No worries about a message posting twice, it happens quite often. I can delete it or just
leave it, no problem.

Tracie

Ah alright, thanks

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry it's hard to get much direct information out of the vets there. Finding a good vet that
has experience with reptiles is difficult.
I hope I have helped clear up some of the supplementation questions for you.
How is Daenys doing today?
Is she taking the serrapeptase & cherry extract without any trouble?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Sakai

Original Poster
Oh, I see, I thought it'd be different over there in the states.
Yup, Im pretty clear on the supplementation now, thanks! I spent some time reading a little about how the vitamins work too.

Although Daenys still isnt like her old self, she has gotten considerably active compared to the last few days. But I sure hope those swellings would go away any time soon. I shall keep up with the updates. Thank you so much for your time and concern.
92108-4831868634.jpg

Daenys is having both tart cherry juice and serrapaptase without problem, and has been getting a lotta sunlight everyday now, but her poop these 2 days are still kinda watery though(probably due to the amount of fluids she's taking these days).
92108-4963130746.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom