Hurt Beardie and I Don’t know what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindsea

I have a baby Beardie he is probably 4 months old I’m not sure. I got him from Petsmart. We bought the aquarium that cam with a basking light into UVB bulb. About two weeks ago he starting eating less and stopped growing. We have a second beardie in the aquarium with him. They did great together until recently. The second one that we have is getting big he is probably 5-6 months old. Mine is Rocky, and my sisters is Stone ( the big beardie). Me and my sister went to go check on them and we noticed that Stone and Rocky’s tail in his mouth. And Rocky was acting like nothing was going on. I got Rocky’s tail out of Stones mouth. Then a couple of days after that he got his left arm. I called a vet and told them what happened then said to bring him in to put a splint on him but after I told them that he was less then a pound they informed me that they couldn’t do it on the small of an arm. We put a plastic piece in the middle of the aquarium to try and keep them separate until pay day. Put Stone some how got over the barricade and got a hold of his right arm. Rocky isn’t moving cold and has very shallow breaths. I’m not sure what to do. And I could use some kind of advise.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Separate them IMMEDIATELY. You MUST move the bigger one into a different tank (Or tub/bin setup) RIGHT AWAY. If the bigger one gets to the smaller beardie again you might Lose Rocky. :(

Please post some photos of them, their tank, and the wounds. I Would take Rocky to the Vet IMMEDIATELY. and To a Experienced reptile vet. Here is a list of reptile vets Nationwide: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwizjaaf073cAhUPh-AKHXcGAmMQFjAAegQIBBAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.anapsid.org%2Fvets%2F&usg=AOvVaw2pP2IkrYDg_rfAEPCSx1AB Please keep us Updated on them and Please post some photos Asap. https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/

-HippieLizards.

Lindsea

Original Poster
100556-3553204686.jpg
100556-1851744126.jpg
100556-76011778.jpg
100556-3969685831.jpg
100556-4637671048.jpg
That is Rocky. I took the best picture I could of his injuries.
100556-5566672347.jpg
This is the cage a shared. I now have it divided in half. Until payday when I can get another UVB bulb and a basking light.
100556-2734811269.jpg
This is Stone my sisters Beardie.

I don’t have money to take him to the vet right now because I just lost my job. And can’t afford to do that right now. And I know that some people are gonna say well if you can’t afford him you don’t deserve him. But at the time of purchase I could afford him and everything he could have needed. But then a roadblock desire to smack me in the face.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I'm so sorry this happened. :( He can still survive, but you def. need to put the bigger guy in a different set up which can just be a plastic storage tote you have [ or a friend ] laying around. Then get an aluminum heat fixture from Walmart [ only about 10.00 or so ] and a 100 watt bulb also from Walmart, or a wattage close to that ] You might have to search a bit , no LED lights because they don't produce much heat at all.] Hang the aluminum dome over the side of the plastic tote. That can be a temp. set up .

As for your injured baby, keep trying to feed him by hand. Smash a cricket or other insect until the guts come out a bit and rub it very lightly on his snout. Don't be squeamish, try it because it often works to get them to eat. Offer water dripped on his snout to keep him hydrated [ not a bath ]

Is he able to move those legs ? They may just be sprained, hopefully that will be the case and they will heal .

Lindsea

Original Poster
He doesn’t move the arm he attempts to move the shoulder on his right arm I can Street see bone and it looks broken. On his left arm it’s a flat he tries to move that one more than his other one but it is super swollen as well. But he does try to move his legs it just doesn’t work out because he can’t get them to work correctly for him. I have a separate cage I just need something to put in the bottom of it and then the lamp of course he doesn’t move the arm he attempts to move the shoulder on his right arm I can Street see bone and it looks broken. On his left arm it’s a flat he tries to move that one more than his other one but it is super swollen as well. But he does try to move his legs it just doesn’t work out because he can’t get them to work correctly for him. I have a separate cage I just need something to put in the bottom of it and then the lamp of course. And I appreciate all this advice you’ve help me more than anybody or any vet I have talk to you in the past week

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Did you say that you can see bone ? I can't see it in the pic. Get a close shot of it. For the other tank just put newspaper or leave the floor bare for now, the important thing is to remove him even from sight [ seeing the aggressor will terrify the hurt baby now ] And remember to offer water with a dropper or spray bottle as well as trying a crushed bug.

Lindsea

Original Poster
I just can’t get a good picture of the bone showing. My camera will not focus on it. But the first 3 pictures are of his right leg the newest injury. And the last one is of his left leg and it is swollen and smashed.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Put some raw unpasteurized honey on it , it's a natural antimicrobial. Just be sure there are not a single bug hiding in the tank. Insects will attack the wound. You can put a small bandaid on it to keep it clean. If it comes off , just put another one or a small piece of gauze on over the honey.

I know someone already said this, but they definitely need to be separated as soon as possible. Older beardies like to go after tiny beardies, I'm so sorry this is happening :(

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Oh my gosh that poor baby! :( I Hope he gets better! He does have a chance, I Would put some raw unpasteurised manuka honey on the injuries. He needs to be taken to a vet ASAP. He also will need some extra UVB, Extra heat (keep his tank a bit warmer at night) Calcium, Lots of love, and a good experienced herp vet to help him get through this.

Also in the photos it looks like there is some string wrapped around his toe which can cut off circulation. You should probably remove that.

Keep us posted! :)

Lindsea

Original Poster
There wasn’t any string on him. But i did check. He does really well when we go outside. And I actually just got back in with him and while we where outside I noticed that his mouth is blue on the inside is that a normal color. I have never seen the inside of his mouth before.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How is he doing ? Were you able to get honey on it + bandage it ? Can you find a good reptile vet ? Has he eaten anything ? If you treated him + he's doing better , that's a great sign.

The blue was just from the sun shining on the membrane, it's not actually going to be blue in there .

Lindsea

Original Poster
He past away today. In my hands. He just past less then an hour ago. Thank you for all the helpful tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom