Is it brumation in July?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan to call the vet in the morning but I thought I’d run this by you guys to see what you think.
Since he came out of brumation in March, Spike has decided that he is too lazy to,chase after crickets, so I started feeding him Phoenix worms and Horn worms. The vet said that was fine. He has now decided he won’t eat Phoenix worms just hornworms. So since the vet said it was ok, I’ve been feeding him Hornworms. In the past, he loved turnip and mustard greens and would chow down on them (they were mixed with mango). He now has decided he only likes mustard greens. So momma gets him them only. He is eating the worms every night, but will not eat any greens whatsoever. He is gaining weigh nice.y so I’m not TOO concerned, but what is concerning me is that he is almost sleeping like he is brumating. He no longer sits in his tree or his rock. On,y spends the whole day and night under his wooden cave sleeping. I have turned off the AC vent in the room thinking it was too cool in there, but he still sleeps. And because if this he is getting no UVB I’ve been taking him outside on his leash when I can and when he’s out he acts normal. But goes right back to sleep when I put him back in his cage. (I miss my old Spike. :(.
The temp in the basking area...where he never goes to anymore...is up to 99 -100 degrees and the cool side the upper 70s to low 80s.
What do you guys think? He was tested for parasites and is negative. I’m getting worried.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How long did he previously brumate for? Sometimes, they can brumate, come out of it, then
slow down again. Not always, but it does happen. It sounds like he has gotten a little bit picky
with his eating also. They go through a lot of different phases & change their eating preferences
as well.
Is he losing any weight that you have noticed?
It's difficult when they go through these phases I know. Perhaps he just wasn't quite done with
his brumation & decided to go back in for a while. Keep encouraging him to bask & eat but if he
wants to sleep extra then you can go ahead & let him. If you can get him to get some UVB that
would definitely help so you can continue taking him outside when possible.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

SpikesMomma1956

Original Poster
Drache613":3v0h38bv said:
Hello,

How long did he previously brumate for? Sometimes, they can brumate, come out of it, then
slow down again. Not always, but it does happen. It sounds like he has gotten a little bit picky
with his eating also. They go through a lot of different phases & change their eating preferences
as well.
Is he losing any weight that you have noticed?
It's difficult when they go through these phases I know. Perhaps he just wasn't quite done with
his brumation & decided to go back in for a while. Keep encouraging him to bask & eat but if he
wants to sleep extra then you can go ahead & let him. If you can get him to get some UVB that
would definitely help so you can continue taking him outside when possible.

Tracie

Oh he is going. That’s for sure! It’s just that can sleep for a day or two on end. I didn’t feed him last night, but this morning gave him his usual greens and mango. He ate half a bowl. That’s why I’m not TOO terribly concerned, he’s pooping ever6 other day too. I get paranoid sometimes I guess.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They are masters at worrying us to death for sure! :D How is he doing today?
At least he had his greens & mango then, he isn't starving.
We all get concerned over small things because you never know if there really is a problem
sometimes, they hide illness so well.

Tracie

SpikesMomma1956

Original Poster
Drache613":2x3xoesq said:
Hello,

They are masters at worrying us to death for sure! :D How is he doing today?
At least he had his greens & mango then, he isn't starving.
We all get concerned over small things because you never know if there really is a problem
sometimes, they hide illness so well.

Tracie

Oh he’s doing fine. He slept again today, in his wooden cave, but my husband said he was out for a while this afternoon. I gave him a bath and he had a good “ poop”. Didn’t eat any greens today , but did eat his hornworms. He also gained 2 more grams in the past week. I really have no cause to worry and I probably sound like a neurotic, but I guess it IS brumation again.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

No, not at all, we all worry like that.
He likely just didn't finish his brumation fully the first time so I doubt he will be down for
very long this time. At least he was out and about today & ate a little bit also.

Keep us posted on his progress.

Trace

SpikesMomma1956

Original Poster
Drache613":kbep26b6 said:
Hello,
No, not at all, we all worry like that.
He likely just didn't finish his brumation fully the first time so I doubt he will be down for
very long this time. At least he was out and about today & ate a little bit also.

Keep us posted on his progress.

Trace

I sure will. I guess I’ll always worry about him. Just like I do my kids, lol

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I know, we will always worry about them. How is he doing today, did he get out & about some
I hope?

Tracie

SpikesMomma1956

Original Poster
Drache613":13pv0b8j said:
Hello,

I know, we will always worry about them. How is he doing today, did he get out & about some
I hope?

Tracie

Not yet. By the time I get home from work, it is raining and late, so I plan to try, weather permitting, to get him out this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom