Sick Beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smackey2

Hatchling Member
Hey everyone, I might be over reacting, but I am beginning to think Spike might be getting sick on me.

Tank:
- 36L x 18W X 12H (Small, I know, but she gets plenty of out side tank time to run around and explore in safe areas of the house.)
- 100w Basking Spot Lamp
- 22" 10.0 T5 HO UVB
- Tile flooring
- 106 Basking spot
- 90-95 hot side (depends on which part of the tank)
- 75-80 cool side ( " " ")
(I check my temps with a digital hand gun)
- Lights are on a timer, on at 6:30 AM and off at 8:30 PM.

Diet:
Dubia Roaches, Horn worms, collard greens, mustard greens. (I have a bit of a picky eater on my hands when it comes to her food.)
(She cut herself back on the live bugs to about 2-4 feedings a week, about a month or so ago. Now she is mostly eating greens 2Xs a day.)

Spike is 17 1/2 inches long, 382 grams (possibly over weight?), and roughly a year and 2 months old (give or take a few weeks)

My problem/worry:
She hasn't eaten in 2 days (including today).
(Friday was the last time she ate for me and she ate mustard greens for breakfast and collard greens for dinner)
On friday, she looked like she was having a bit of trouble with getting her poo out so I gave a slightly more warm than normal bath and massaged her belly. No poo, but she drank a lot of the water. I wrapped her up, made sure she was dry and put her back under her light after the 10 minute bath. 20 minutes later, she did poo and had no problems. It looked normal.

Yesterday, she pooed again but this time it was a formed poo, but lot of water around it, which I chalked up to all the water she drank the day before, and part of her urate was very yellow, while the other part was white. None of it was hard or anything.

Today, I have noticed that she is leaving small, yellow urates, no poo, in her tank. Again, not hard or anything.

I tried to coax her into eating a dubia earlier and noticed that her tongue was very pale when she licked at it, not just the tip of her tongue either. I gently eased her mouth open and her mouth is pale compared to her normal pink-ish color. It was a no go on the food, but I did mix up some water/pedialyte for her and she did drink a good bit for me.
Her beard is not black or anything, she is basking just fine, but hasn't been as active in the past couple of days as usual. Her eyes aren't sunken, she is alert, fat pads on her head are fine, and she is her normal bearded dragon color, other than her mouth.

Her stomach isn't hard or anything, but she does look to be bloated, I guess you could call it, but what I call bloated might just be her being a bit over weight? (I can take a picture if it helps.)

Pic from April 16th, this is the most recent one I have of her, doesn't exactly show the 'bloating' I am talking about though:
30704146_10213577378967957_7266918088820391936_o.jpg

So, the question is, do I need to make a call to the vet in the morning, am I over reacting and she just needs some extra water for dehydration, or do I wait it out for another day and see how she is feeling?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. She may be gravid. Those are systems of being gravid. Has she been more restless or digging alot?

smackey2

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Nope. Not that I have noticed. She has been laying underneath her log a little more, but that is just her normal for when she is working on a shed, but there aren't any indicators of another one about to happen.

smackey2

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Just figured i'd drop in a small update since it has been a few days.
Spike is drinking A LOT of water, which isn't normal for her, but i'm chalking it up to the fact that she isn't really eating either. Her tongue/mouth is coming back to her normal pink-ish color, so there is that.
She ate 4 dubias on Tuesday and 2 for me yesterday, but that was it. The only thing she is willing to take is water.
She is still basking, but not moving around her tank like she used to (She was a horrible glass surfer/scratcher). I did just give her a bath and she drank even more water during that.
Her urate is still an orange-ish color, but not as bright as before. Not entirely sure what is going on with her, but it does seem she might be attempting a shed. Her back is slowly turning a pale like grey in color, which is the normal indicator for her, so I shall see.

After her bath:
32222260_10213763292735685_1667188798296948736_o.jpg

She was not amused that I took her picture afterwards. Haha.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hopefully she will feel better after the shed. It does sound like she was quite thirsty/dehydrated so keep offering water in small batches so she gets enough. Hopefully that will help flush her system and get her feeling good.

smackey2

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Spike is starting to feel better, that is for sure.
I took her outside for some sun on Friday and she wondered around in the grass for a bit, and ate 3 dandelions (I couldn't keep her from them. Haha)
She is still drinking, but slowing down. Her urate is no longer orange, but not exactly white like it was either, but she is getting there. She did poo just a few minutes ago and it looked normal, just a little more water than usual.
She still isn't eating like she was, but she did take one dubia from me this morning. I'm going to chop up her salad in a few and see if that interests her any.
Spike was glass surfing for a while, which she hasn't done for about 2 weeks, wanting out. She lounged on my oldest's computer desk for a while, watching him build his legos, and getting pets and cuddles inbetween. Now she is all happy colors and basking on her rock. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom