Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dra

Hi there my beardie is 9mths and I’m worried about his size ,he gets fed 7-10 locusts a day and lots of fruit and veg with calcium powder . Would you recommend anything (I was advised to feed him locusts by the shop owner). He is my very first beardie and I hope he is ok

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, can you post pics of him showing his full size [ also if you can, measure + weigh him ] Post pics of his set up as well. If he's a big boy eating large insects then that may be enough but he could probably use just a few more per day at least since he's still growing, even twice as much if he'll eat it. Here's how to post pics :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

lizardmom25

Hatchling Member
At 9 months he should still be fed insects twice a day. Just to give you and idea, my 4 month old eats about 4x as many insects as you are feeding. I am feeding 3/4" dubia, and he is 250g and 15 inches.

Dra

Original Poster
I am not able to do so at the moment as I’m not in the house but he is around the size of a 5mth old beardie and is super interactive and eats well sheds regularly ,he has a backlight at 30-70W and a basking light at 150W ( UVA ) . My older cousin has a beardie and says that it could be his genetics because one of his cousins had genetic problems and grew slower but was completely fine. The shop owner /beardie expert said that he isn’t I’ll and will be fine but he is just a slow grower ,could this be true and I can feed him a lot more locusts ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He could do with a bit more to eat but keep in mind that the fastest growing humans + animals does not equate to the healthiest. Don't make that mistake. I raised them for over 20 years, they do have different genetics + growth rates so jumbo sized fast growing dragons aren't any healthier and can be more prone to gout as they get older due to such high protein intake. We don't want to starve them OR stuff them.

BTW, can you post pics of him + his set up ? What is the blacklight for ? Beardies need a crisp white basking/heat bulb as well as a good long tube uvb like Reptisun 10.0 or Arcadia D3 12-14%.

Dra

Original Poster
I’m out of town for the next few days but he has the og beardie set up . His back light is for heat as well as light to the tank. I switch them both off at night and again the bearded dragon expert was able to say that he himself has beardies and has been breeding since he was younger and he gave me the setup and lights and said that that is all I would need ,all of his beardies live off a back light and basking light so is it really just a few more locusts ? I know a lot of people have said that they think I should look into crickets but ... everyone in my house is afraid and they are escape artists ,would hornworms work with locusts (not at the same time) thanks for the replies they are definitely appropriated and I hope my beardie is a lot healthier . My auntie who has had beardies said that hers was the same size as Gizmo( my beardie) at his age and that beardie lived really long so it could be the same ,thanks again

Dra

Original Poster
He also has the uvb lights in his backlight (the tube one and the curly one )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom