Baby Beardie closing one eye/"bloodhound eye"

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahamin

Hello I just recently purchased a baby beardie from what i thought was a good, reputable pet store. I have had him for two weeks now and he is eating and pooping normally. His temps are good ad his light are all directly overhead. There is a darkness/droopiness on his left eye. He woke up with a little but of crustiness one mroning so for the past three days i have been putting terramycin on it just in case it is an infection. He is not blind he just chooses not to open his eye. i cant see anything in it other than the darkness around it. he doesnt like to chase his food and he wont eat veggies yet (which is making me nervous). I am worried he may be dehydrated but ive given him baths everyday since i got him (i dont really see him drink the water though) Ahhh i dont know what to do could someone please help me?

Forgot to mention he is turning slightly gray i think he may shed soon but i dont know if the two are connected i dont think beardies shed the skin on their eyes water line?

sarahamin

Original Poster
destiny1998":3h3ohl4u said:
Hi. It could be from the shed. What kind of uvb light does he have? What other lights are you using?
Hello!! thanks for responding i am using the zoo med 10.0 uvb/13W reptisun and the 75W Zoo med basking spot lamp.

sarahamin

Original Poster
Martadragon017":14hvuky9 said:
If he isn't drinking from the bath, he isn't getting any water. What I do is I drop water on my girl's nose, it works way better for me that way instead of using a bath. About the eye, can you post a picture of it? To post a photo go here: https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/#list

Hey thank you for responding! i just uploaded two pictures let me know if i did it right, his left eye is the one that looks droopy. thank you for the dropper advice!

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. The uv b light that you are using does not put off very good rays and they have been known to cause eye problems. I would change it to a reptisun 10.0 t5.

sarahamin

Original Poster
destiny1998":o4g6rr6b said:
Hi. The uv b light that you are using does not put off very good rays and they have been known to cause eye problems. I would change it to a reptisun 10.0 t5.
okay i just ordered one it will be here on thursday i will let you know how it goes thank you!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
destiny1998":2r9ay70a said:
Yep.... the 13W compact 10 is so weak in UVA & UVB output, he'd literally have to wear the dome it's in as a hat to get enough UV.

At the very least :
1) swap it for a 25W UVB200
2) move the dome so it's UNDER the mesh lid
3) move the dome and NEW compact so it's 6-8 inches from the basking spot (aim is 180-200 microW UVB / sq.cm at the basking spot)
Highly recommend
a) replace the dome with a NANOHOOD , again mounted under the mesh lid and no farther than 8 inches from the basking spot. The horizontal mode compact will produce a better spread of UV
or
b) replace the compact with a T5HO 12% UVB tube and reflector hood , this set up will give very good levels of UVA & UVB at about 10-12 inches from the basking spot , needs to be 2/3 to 3/4 the length of viv and best mounted under the mesh lid.
Avoid the Reptisun T5HO tube if it has gold coloured end caps - these are part of a dodgey production run and very poor quality.

sarahamin

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3g228lsh said:
destiny1998":3g228lsh said:
Yep.... the 13W compact 10 is so weak in UVA & UVB output, he'd literally have to wear the dome it's in as a hat to get enough UV.

At the very least :
1) swap it for a 25W UVB200
2) move the dome so it's UNDER the mesh lid
3) move the dome and NEW compact so it's 6-8 inches from the basking spot (aim is 180-200 microW UVB / sq.cm at the basking spot)
Highly recommend
a) replace the dome with a NANOHOOD , again mounted under the mesh lid and no farther than 8 inches from the basking spot. The horizontal mode compact will produce a better spread of UV
or
b) replace the compact with a T5HO 12% UVB tube and reflector hood , this set up will give very good levels of UVA & UVB at about 10-12 inches from the basking spot , needs to be 2/3 to 3/4 the length of viv and best mounted under the mesh lid.
Avoid the Reptisun T5HO tube if it has gold coloured end caps - these are part of a dodgey production run and very poor quality.

do you have any links to other bulbs other than repti sun those are the only ones i can find and i’m not sure what lid to get for it do you have any suggestions? thank u so much

*Update* this is what i found, my viv is 30 inches long, 15 inches deep and 12 inches across. would this 2 foot nano tech hood work well if i hang it from the wall? or should i go with one that is 3 feet?

https://www.amazon.com/Sunblaster-904296-NanoTech-Fixture-Reflector/dp/B00AKKUBDQ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Still unsure which bulbs to purchase for it if not repti sun.
sorry for all the questions i appreciate everyones help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom