Help! change in my beardies behavior.. what could be wrong?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg22

hello, I have two bearded dragons that my husband and I rescued a couple months ago, they are both brothers and around 9-10 months.. One of them was abused more than the other, he had his leg broken which has since "healed" (it is deformed but no longer broken) well, this beardie is the one that has started with an on set of sudden change in his behavior... he has become extremely aggressive towards his brother, they are in a 120 gallon tank and have been in the same enclosure since they were born, when my husband and i got them we tried to separate them because we know males do better in their own habitat, however they both seemed to become stressed and show signs of depression so we put them back together and they perked back up and no longer were displaying the darkening of their bellies and beards. they just were very happy.. however, the smaller of the two (benngie is his name, his brother is blakely) has been attacking Blakley all day today to the point i have had to physically open his mouth (i swear i did it as easy as possible) but he would not let go of Blakley and was actually trying to what seemed like barrel roll with the back of blakleys head in his mouth, I seperated them for awhile today and have tried 3 times putting them back together and Benngie will be fine for 1-2 hours and then just out of no where charge blakley and bite down on the back of his head and try to roll, the last time he actually had blakleys skin in his mouth once i got him to finally let go!! like ripped some skin off... he has not eaten in two days and i have tried offering him fruits, veggies, crickets, live and dried meal worms and he will not eat.. I havent been able to get him to drink on his own in almost 3 days (I have had to scoop water into my hand and pour it on his head and he would like the water that would drip down) what could possibly be going on with him to cause this behavioral change?!? I have noticed a difference in the size of my boys.. Benngie was slightly smaller than blakely when we got them but now he is MUCH smaller.. any suggestions would be great! they get adequate lighting and proper temperature and blakley is doing great so someone help! thank youuuu

Meg22

Original Poster
I have since put up a divider, he is still acting very abnormal and is showing signs of stress, I.E he has the dark stripes on his belly, beard is dark, and his whole body color is dark.. Not sure if this will help and its just going to take some time for him to de-stress himself/come back around... is this a normal thing for them to suddenly become stressed and change their whole attitude and behavior from being in the same enclosure as his brother that he has been with since birth??

I have changed nothing about the tank (prior to just dividing it) only thing is they both just came out of brumation a couple weeks ago and have now started shedding...

is it normal for their behavior to change after brumation and at the start of a shedding cycle?? this was my first brumation cycle and their first shed since getting them.. I am a first time owner my husband use to breed them but he is out of town and im unable to get in touch with him...

Meg22

Original Poster
I am happy to report Benngie is doing much better, He was pretty constipated but took a good big healthy poo in the bath today! His behavior and demeanor has improved immensely! He is back to being his happy, snuggly, loving self!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom