Sunken Eyes, NOT Dehydrated. Urgent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peebers

Hey guys, I need urgent help. As of today my beardie's eyes are very sunken in, and there's no way he's dehydrated. Every week I bathe him once, and every other day I mist him. He's extremely lethargic, and he wont even keep his head up when I lift it.
He is currently in a 50 gallon tank with a Reptisun 10.0 UVB tube, reptile carpet, and two hides. His hot spot is 102, his middle section goes from about 90-80, and his cool spot is in the high 70s. I recently bought new dubia roaches (which he's eaten before), which is the only recent change. My other beardie, Cinnamon, is not showing any symptoms of being sick. He eats salads every day that have variations of collard greens, carrots, bell peppers, and rarely fruits. Every 3 days he eats the roaches in addition to the salads. He has herptivite and rep-cal for supplements.
Before today he was super active, attentive, and had a good appetite. Now he wont move at all, and has 0 interest in food. He pooped in his most recent bath, so it can't be impaction.
My first thought was to drive him to the vet, but I can't at this hour as I physically CANNOT get a ride. Help??

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you post pics of him, full body as well as close up of his face ? Sounds like something going on that may need vet attention if you can find someone to take you. In the meantime, offer water dripped on his snout to see if he'll drink. It's not misting, that doesn't hydrate them but water on the snout can get them drinking. To post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

It sounds very serious actually, possibly critical.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, it sounds like it could be some type of health issue.
Has he had a black beard since he started becoming lethargic?
Could he have eaten something toxic at all? I would definitely get him in to see a vet as
soon as you can. Since his eyes are sunken in so much that indicates some trouble, but
hopefully not any renal issues.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Is there an update on your dragon? I agree, it's actually very likely that he's dehydrated, as just giving him a bath will not keep him hydrated UNLESS he actually drinks the bath water through his mouth, they don't absorb hydration just by sitting in water through their skin/vent, that's just not true. Same as AHBD about misting him, misting a bearded dragon does not in any way keep them hydrated UNLESS they lick a ton of the water droplets off of the tank after it's misted, otherwise misting them does nothing to keep them hydrated. This is a common misconception/myth that unfortunately a lot of people believe to be true, that Bearded Dragon's actually absorb hydration through their vent's or their skin, so "soaking" them or "misting" them will keep them hydrated. They are no different than you and I are, in order for them to get hydration they must take it in through their mouths, either by drinking water from a bowl or while in a bath through their mouths (which most dragons don't do, they have little concept of standing water because there isn't any in the Australian Desert for them to drink), so more often than not, Bearded Dragons get most all of their hydration from the live insects and the fresh greens/veggies that they eat.

So that being said, if your dragon's eyes are that sunken then yes, he most likely is very dehydrated, and as AHBD already instructed you, the best way to give a Dragon daily hydration (in addition to feeding them fresh greens/veggies and live insects daily) is to drip water or unflavored Pedialyte on their snouts, let them lick it off, drip some more, lick, drip, etc., and do this several times throughout each day. "Misting" a Bearded Dragon is good when they are going through a shed, as it can help loosen up the shedding skin and can help with any itchiness from the shed, and they might even lick a few droplets of the misted water off of the tank decor, but the bottom line is that they have to get water in them the same way that we do.

That all being said, it sounds like something else is going on here, meaning yes, your dragon is dehydrated, but he is dehydrated due to some other health issue going on. Did you get him to a Reptile Vet?

And another question, you mentioned that you also have a female Dragon...are both of your dragon's housed together?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Any updates on your dragon today? How is he looking, are his eyes sunken in still?
Please let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, please let us know how he's doing, and if there's anything else we can help you with...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom