Prolapse what can I do. Unable to take to a Vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
No photos yet of the "prolapse" and "black dart" (what ever that was) and none now....

As to dragons dying after the surgery .... we don't have the context ie how long did the keeper wait before seeking help from a vet ? or any information about the skill of the vet-surgeon (they are very hit and miss in my experience , but definitely better than a untrained person muddling about at home with a home remedy and likely doing more damage.

I STILL think a reptile vet needs to assess this dragon AS A MATTER OF URGENCY TODAY (at the very latest). At the very least antibiotics and pain relief are needed.

KevinsMama

Hatchling Member
AHBD":cffrlk60 said:
The first post is a bit hard to understand, I just reread it, doesn't say the O.P. pulled it out with a hair. A dragon sensing any foreign object would try to push it out [ if this is true ] You can't pull out the rectal tissue. Any protruding tisue would be a prolapse. Here's what it says :

I just got this beardy from a person that couldn't give her the attention she needed. She was ok initially then started to slow down. We thought shw had a black hair in her vent but today a long black need dart started to come put along with her anus. I have her in warm water. N she keeps contracting the stomach to get it out. I don't know what to-do. 2 inch of her anus is also out an around the dart.
Marianne
Newbie Poster

When I 1st read it, it made no sense to me either. It wasn't til I read comments that I even figured it out. She said the "dart" is coming out along with 2 inches of her anus. It's actually pretty confusing....

Along with the fact that this was her only post. She became a member just to post this. Either she is a troll (sorry if I'm mistaken) or she got scared of us because she has no intentions of getting vet help and is afraid of backlash.

O.P. you can surrender her to a rescue that will get her the care she needs to increase her chances of survival or at least help her pain levels. You can contact EllenD, she is always willing to find the closest rescue for you. Good luck...

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
KevinsMama":f2vk07wt said:
AHBD":f2vk07wt said:
The first post is a bit hard to understand, I just reread it, doesn't say the O.P. pulled it out with a hair. A dragon sensing any foreign object would try to push it out [ if this is true ] You can't pull out the rectal tissue. Any protruding tisue would be a prolapse. Here's what it says :

I just got this beardy from a person that couldn't give her the attention she needed. She was ok initially then started to slow down. We thought shw had a black hair in her vent but today a long black need dart started to come put along with her anus. I have her in warm water. N she keeps contracting the stomach to get it out. I don't know what to-do. 2 inch of her anus is also out an around the dart.
Marianne
Newbie Poster

When I 1st read it, it made no sense to me either. It wasn't til I read comments that I even figured it out. She said the "dart" is coming out along with 2 inches of her anus. It's actually pretty confusing....

Along with the fact that this was her only post. She became a member just to post this. Either she is a troll (sorry if I'm mistaken) or she got scared of us because she has no intentions of getting vet help and is afraid of backlash.

O.P. you can surrender her to a rescue that will get her the care she needs to increase her chances of survival or at least help her pain levels. You can contact EllenD, she is always willing to find the closest rescue for you. Good luck...

I forgot to post that to the O.P., and I thank you for pointing that out for me...I have worked at a Licensed Reptile and Bird Rescue for about 7 years now, and I am more than happy to always find the closest reputable Reptile Rescue or Reptile Vet/Hospital to anyone in the US, usually it only takes one or two phone calls for me to set up a surrender, and I can get them to wave any surrender-fees or donations that they usually require. They would immediately get the Dragon to their regular Reptile Vet on the spot and get him help. Yes, you'd have to surrender him, but he'll be alive...and I've even been able (in certain situations) to get the dragon back to the original owner, albeit after the dragon totally recovers, and the original owner must go through the usual adoption process...

Either way, if the OP is reading this and still has not been able to get the dragon to a Reptile Vet, and you want him to have a chance at surviving and being put out of pain, and you cannot find a way to do it yourself, then please, think about surrendering him. I know you said that you "Took the dragon in when the original owner could no longer provide adequate care for him", but if what you say truly happened to him, then he needs to get to a Reptile Vet immediately, if for no other reason than to get proper pain control, and if the only way you can accomplish this is by surrendering him, then please make the decision to do so. At least he'll still be alive and out of pain. If you want me to find out where the closest Reptile Rescue is to you, please feel free to PM me any time, and I'll make some phone calls. And it would be totally confidential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom