Terrified please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie Onix, he’s suddenly slowed down on eating and started laying at the bottom of his enclosure a lot. I also just realized his whole left underside is like hard. There’s also a hard small lump by his left leg near his rectum. His substrate is fine (repti-carpet). Temps are normal lighting is good and I feed him collard greens mustard greens and dusted crickets (multivitamin and calcium). I’m pretty well educated after spending hours upon hours and days upon days researching about their care and everything so I’m not sure what’s wrong. PLEASE HELP. I do not have money for a vet whatsoever and I feel horrible I even adopted an animal I can not take to the vet and I don’t know what to do

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I'm so sorry that you're going through this, it's very tough when you try to do the right thing by adopting a pet for all the right reasons, yet you cannot afford to get them medical care when an emergency pops up. We will do everything we can to help you, but realize that an experienced Reptile Vet may be inevitable, and if so you may need to consider surrendering him to a reputable Reptile Rescue who will take him to their Reptile Vet for medical care. Hopefully we can avoid that, but I just want to put that out there because sometimes it's just not possible to help them at home. If it comes to that, I have worked at a Certified Reptile and Bird Rescue for many years and can find the closest Reptile Rescue to wherever you are, and get it set up for you. Just putting that out there and out of the way for the moment...

Can you first please post some photos of both your dragon and then his entire enclosure and lighting? That's step #1...

How old is he? (Assuming it's a male, but please clarify on that because if it's a female it may be an egg situation). How long have you had him, since you said you "adopted" him? How has his health been in general since you got him?

When you say that "his entire left underside is hard", can you please be a little more detailed about what you mean? I'm also assuming you mean his left side, so not the side where his distal intestinal tract is (that's on his right side if your looking down on top of his back)...When is the last time he had a bowel movement?

And how long has this "slow-down" been going on? They do often have a regular, natural "winter slow-down" where they become a bit more sluggish or even lethargic and they slow-down on their eating. So the key to determining whether or not that's what this is, or if it's a medical/health/husbandry issue is asking yourself the questions #1) How long has he been lethargic and not eating? #2) Has he had a black beard at all since this started? #3) Is he acting like he's in pain? #4) How long has it been since he's had a bowel movement? #5) Does it cause him pain when you press on the "lump" by his vent?

How long has the lump been there by his vent? That's whey I asked about his last bowel movement, as well as if you're absolutely sure of his gender, and what is his age, because these signs/symptoms are indicative of a lot of issues, one of them being that a female is carrying/getting ready to lay eggs, or is actually egg-bound, which is an extremely serious and potentially fatal condition if it's not treated immediately.

And also, I know you said that "Your lighting and temperature zones are all fine", but if I had a quarter for every time someone wrote that sentence and it ended up that it was a Calcium Deficiency and MBD due to inadequate UVB/UVA lighting, I'd be a retired 38 year old. So if you can fill us in on exactly what UVB light you have (brand/wattage/strength/type, meaning compact, coil/spiral, or long tube), how old your current UVB light is, how far away in inches is your UVB light from his basking spot/platform, and is the UVB light obstructed by anything like a mesh lid that it's sitting on or a clear, plastic safety cover on the tube fixture if it's a long UVb tube?

Also, what are the current temperatures of the 3 zones inside his tank (Basking Spot Surface Temperature, Hot Side Ambient (air) Temperature, and Cool Side Ambient (air) Temperature)? Do you take his tank temperatures with either a Temperature Gun or a Digital Probe Thermometer, or do you have only stick-on thermometers?

Onixthebaby

Original Poster
95220-5758227035.jpg

Onix is about 15 inches long so the internet tells me that he is approximately five months old. I got him when he was about 6inches long from Petsmart. I’m not 110% positive he is a boy but when using a flashlight it appears that he has the two oval spots above his vent. So we assume he is a boy. We have no other dragons so I don’t think it’s eggs.

Lighting:UVB- Zoomed Reptisun 10.0 T5H0 florecent tube(22in)
Basking: Zoomed repti basking bulb 100w inside an aluminum "clamp lamp" from Walmart. Both lights are brand new less than 3months old. & no there’s no plastic on either of the lights.
Substrate: Zoomed Eco carpet for 40 gallon tank
Temps: warm side 90degrees cool side is about 80-85 degrees (still measuring it) and basking spot is 106.1.
Yes his mesh lid is what his lights are on/above. I’m aware it does filter out some of the uvb but I’m not sure it’s that bad because the basking spot is high and the uvb light sits directly over top of the tree as you can see.
I use a digital thermometer with a probe(Zoomed brand)

His health has been pretty great since I’ve gotten him. He usually eats like crazy and is always active.

You are exactly correct about the location of the hardness in his belly. If you’re looking down on him it’s his left side, so no it’s not where his digestive tract is. And it’s not like rock solid or anything but it just feels like, not as soft as usual, like much firmer. He last had a bowel movement today and it looked pretty normal (much better than the last two he’s had because the last two were a little runny but still had a semi normal consistency aka not diarrhea just not as firm as usual)

The slow down period has been for a little over a week and the temperatures outside here in Kentucky have been super low like even in the negatives but my house has stayed super warm. I keep my heat blasting so I wasn’t sure if the dragon could still tell that it is winter because of how warm I keep the house....#1- he is eating but went from eating like 40-50 crix a day plus greens to like 5-10 ish (it varies) crix a day and still a pretty decent amount of greens so it’s mainly been a huge decrease in crickets
#2- no black beard at all
#3-not really acting like he’s in pain but not really sure what that would look like. The only unusual thing is he’s been laying at the bottom of his enclosure instead of basking 24/7 like usual.
#4- he’s had a normal bm today but yesterday’s and the previous day were both a little runny and smelly but today’s seemed normal and better
#5- I gave him a bath and gently rubbed down on his belly and kinda in a circle-ish motion around the lump but it didn’t seem to bother him too much. He just kinda let me. Didn’t squirm or puff or anything. Just closed his eyes as if it felt good or something. He usually closes his eyes when we pet him etc so that’s what I’m basing that off of.

95220-7105773170.jpg
95220-8600422670.jpg
95220-6487315977.jpg
95220-6296954509.jpg
95220-9221400097.jpg
95220-5549060628.jpg
95220-6785341091.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
How's he doing now ?

He offloaded a nice big poo yet ?

If not what have you done to assist him since posting , how long has it been since he last did a poo ?

Onixthebaby

Original Poster
@kingofnobbys I literally just posted all of this within the last couple hours...so everything is the same /: thanks for your concern though

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Onixthebaby":nk51g06e said:
95220-5758227035.jpg

careful with those clamp lamps , very common for them work loose and fall.

A Komodo lampstand is a much better way to hang a basking globe and dome reflector :
s-l1600.jpg

Better still is a solid timber lid and hanging the basking globe from underneath this.

Onix is about 15 inches long so the internet tells me that he is approximately five months old. I got him when he was about 6inches long from Petsmart. I’m not 110% positive he is a boy but when using a flashlight it appears that he has the two oval spots above his vent. So we assume he is a boy. We have no other dragons so I don’t think it’s eggs. <<< NO , she's is not gravid / pregnant , she's way too young .

Lighting:UVB- Zoomed Reptisun 10.0 T5H0 florecent tube(22in)
Basking: Zoomed repti basking bulb 100w inside an aluminum "clamp lamp" from Walmart. Both lights are brand new less than 3months old. & no there’s no plastic on either of the lights.
Substrate: Zoomed Eco carpet for 40 gallon tank
Temps: warm side 90degrees cool side is about 80-85 degrees (still measuring it) and basking spot is 106.1.
Yes his mesh lid is what his lights are on/above. I’m aware it does filter out some of the uvb but I’m not sure it’s that bad because the basking spot is high and the uvb light sits directly over top of the tree as you can see.
<<<< please arrange to move the UVB tube's reflector hood UNDER the mesh lid , the mesh IS blocking 40% of all the UV emitted.
<<<< please arrange it so her basking spot is NO MORE THAN 11 inches from the 10% T5HO tube , refer to this : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611
you are aiming for 180-200 microW UVB / sq.cm @ the basking spot and approx. 100 microW UVB elsewhere, and a minimum of 14 hrs per day available (even in winter) for him to be able to bask and take UVA and UVB irradiation as needed.
>>>> Please invest in some MDF sheet or 1/2 inch thick plywood to place over top the mesh lid to hold the heat generated by the basking globe in the viv , ypu will find you'll need a lower wattage basking globe if you have a mostly solid timber (insulating) lid.

I use a digital thermometer with a probe(Zoomed brand) ,
>>>> worth getting a brace of these : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4x-LCD-Digital-Temperature-Thermometer-Fridge-Freezer-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Reptile-/391259141696?hash=item5b18dcb640:g
one for each zone and for the basking spot and you can then see the temperatures at a glance .

His health has been pretty great since I’ve gotten him. He usually eats like crazy and is always active.

You are exactly correct about the location of the hardness in his belly. If you’re looking down on him it’s his left side, so no it’s not where his digestive tract is. And it’s not like rock solid or anything but it just feels like, not as soft as usual, like much firmer. He last had a bowel movement today and it looked pretty normal (much better than the last two he’s had because the last two were a little runny but still had a semi normal consistency aka not diarrhea just not as firm as usual)

The slow down period has been for a little over a week and the temperatures outside here in Kentucky have been super low like even in the negatives but my house has stayed super warm. I keep my heat blasting so I wasn’t sure if the dragon could still tell that it is winter because of how warm I keep the house....#1- he is eating but went from eating like 40-50 crix a day plus greens to like 5-10 ish (it varies) crix a day and still a pretty decent amount of greens so it’s mainly been a huge decrease in crickets

<<< don't offer the veg until she's had at least one big meal of live insects , I found my gang were pigging out on the greens and veg and lost interest in their insects (but at 5-6 months old) they NEED nearly entirely live insect protein to grow and develop properly , will never get enough energy and protein and fats (yes they do need some fats as it's mobilises the vitamins and minerals in the bloodstream) from a heavily veg diet.
They do seem to slow down a bit at about 6 months old , they are no longer frantic eating machines and pubity sets in. My Toothless was BBing and headnodding at Rex (5yr old) and Peppa (his sibling) about then.
<<< they can tell , even if the live in a climate controlled house and never see the outside world .... they pick up on the barometric pressure and seem to know it's winter.

Please keep her warm over winter and keep the photoperiod long ( min 14 hours , I recommend 16 hours per day) so she will be encouraged to stay active and awake and feeding and growing.
>>> I'd invest in a thermostat and a ceramic heat emitter to keep her viv warmer than 22 degC overnight , the CHE will also help the basking globe keep the temperatures warm too over winter if the room where her viv is gets cold .

#2- no black beard at all
<<< that's good.
#3-not really acting like he’s in pain but not really sure what that would look like. The only unusual thing is he’s been laying at the bottom of his enclosure instead of basking 24/7 like usual.
#4- he’s had a normal bm today but yesterday’s and the previous day were both a little runny and smelly but today’s seemed normal and better
#5- I gave him a bath and gently rubbed down on his belly and kinda in a circle-ish motion around the lump but it didn’t seem to bother him too much. He just kinda let me. Didn’t squirm or puff or anything. Just closed his eyes as if it felt good or something. He usually closes his eyes when we pet him etc so that’s what I’m basing that off of.
<<< i find 0.3 - 0.4 ml of olive oil given orally by syringe gets my gang pooing usually the next day or day after.
keeping a warm viv overnight ( > 24 degC , I'd aim for 26 - 28 degC for month of so help him clear his system ) also helps with the digestion and boosts their metabolism and immune systems too.

Onixthebaby

Original Poster
@kingofnobbys

How can I safely put the uvb tube and fixture under the lid?! I’m willing to do that just not sure how to go about it safely.

Also the basking spot is less than 11inches from the tube...that part is like super confusing though you seem to be super smart and it’s better to explain it to me like you’re explaining this to a toddler ?? I’m new at being a beardie owner and your mathematical stuff is confusing me. ?(I do appreciate your advice though!)

He has a 14 hour day and a 10 hour night.

22degrees Celsius is equal to 71 degrees Fahrenheit and I keep the tank at like 72-75 degrees at night already but I would like to invest in a CHE when I can anyways. But for now he’s ok without it.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You have a good set up + good lights. Your screen will not block much of the uvb at all if it's the type with larger holes like this, only 15-20% so no need to hang it inside:

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30004/full

Is your screen like that ?
If the mesh is very fine then it can block 35- 40%, but with the t5 bulb you still get a decent amount of uvb if it's very close to the basking area. If it's farther than 8" then it would be good to mount it under the screen, but if it's the larger screen like in the pic I posted then you do not need to mount it inside. There's a big difference in the different types of terrarium screen and there can be misunderstandings about it. All screens don't block 40% of the uvb, but the fine mesh blocks.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
It's the T5HO, so the mesh is fine as long as the UVb tube is within at least 10" of him, if it was the T8 strength tube then you would absolutely have to mount it under the mesh lid and get it within at least 6 inches of the basking spot, so that's why I asked.

You do have a very tall tank, so if he's not spending time on the basking spot/platform and is rather on the floor, then he's not getting adequate UVB/UVA light due to the tank height, so that would be the only reason that I would recommend mounting it under the screen. You can't be constantly putting him on the basking platform. That's the only problem I see with the UVB tube being up so high.

Your Cool Side Ambient at 80-85 degrees and rising is too hot, he always must have a place to go that is considerably cooler than the Hot Side Ambient, which is perfect at 90, but you need to try to get the Cool Side Ambient down to 80 at the highest.

It does sound like he's a boy, and if he does happen to be a female, 5-6 months is too young to be gravid with infertile eggs (FYI, there doesn't have to be another male dragon for a female to lay clutches of infertile eggs, they are just like us and still ovulate, lol, but the poor things actually have to lay the infertile eggs...but it sounds like he's a he, so this won't be an issue, lucky you, lol)...

He's not impacted if he's having regular bowel movements, and honestly it doesn't sound like parasite either if they aren't runny or extremely smelly. And I'm not sure what to tell you about the "hard lump" on his left side, it's not an impaction, it may just be normal for him.

He looks bright eyed, alert, and healthy, and you've obviously taken good care of him and have a good UVB light for him, temps are good (FYI you don't need a CHE at all at night as long as the temp stays at 65 degrees or above, they actually sleep most comfortably if it's Pitch-Black and pretty cool, much cooler than daytime temps, just like the Australian Desert, which gets cold at night...so if his nighttime temp is 72 then it's perfect and doesn't need any extra heat, that will only disrupt his sleep).

Did you happen to buy larger crickets than you had before? Obviously they will eat a lot less the bigger the bugs. Be sure they are always smaller than the space between his eyes...other than that, I think it's just the normal winter blues. My year old girl is eating considerably less right not, it started the minute our temps dropped from the 40's to the teens, and now she's in the full-body shed from hell, so she's the most miserable beardie in the world right now, meanwhile my 7 month old boy is also eating a bit less, and he's a garbage disposal.

I'd just keep an eye on him, the fact that he's so young and eats a good amount of greens/veggies is awesome, so he'll be well-hydrated and maybe even full. If his bowel movements get runny, or if he becomes very lethargic, then you need to start worrying, buy he looks pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom