new baby beardie sleeps all day, won't eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I'm glad you got the temp down, 125 degrees will definitely cause a lot of problems...

As far as her eyes go, keep following the directions given by AHBD, but I'm going to add that you absolutely must be sure to get every single live cricket out of her tank that she doesn't eat on the spot when you feed her, and if that means ripping her tank all apart then that's what you need to do, because she has an eye problem (which may have actually been caused by one of the crickets left in the tank in the first place), and if you're putting raw honey in her eye and there is even 1 single live cricket left in her tank over night, that's just asking for that cricket to bite her eye while she's sleeping. It happens all the time without the added draw of the honey, so this is a very risky situation. Crickets are dirty, nasty little buggers that cause skin/scale and eye infections in dragons all the time, and if she's already having a problem and a cricket bites her eye, it's going to end badly...I've seen photos of dragons taken by their owners first thing in the morning after they've turned on the tank lights, and they show a dragon with an eyeball actually missing, gone, chewed out by a loose cricket. So this is something that is very easy to avoid...

Stax

Original Poster
AHBD":3ksq2wkx said:
It can go directly in the eye. I've done it for my own beardie's eye infection in the past and it cleared up very quickly.

So she likes the pea baby food ? Try sneaking in a smashed baby cricket when she's eating that.

yeah she likes it but won't lick it off the lid, only off my finger after I put a little on her lips. Also how often should she be drinking? because I've only saw her actually drink from her water dish once . rest have been when I dip it on her nose.

Stax

Original Poster
EllenD":2cd88s4f said:
I'm glad you got the temp down, 125 degrees will definitely cause a lot of problems...

As far as her eyes go, keep following the directions given by AHBD, but I'm going to add that you absolutely must be sure to get every single live cricket out of her tank that she doesn't eat on the spot when you feed her, and if that means ripping her tank all apart then that's what you need to do, because she has an eye problem (which may have actually been caused by one of the crickets left in the tank in the first place), and if you're putting raw honey in her eye and there is even 1 single live cricket left in her tank over night, that's just asking for that cricket to bite her eye while she's sleeping. It happens all the time without the added draw of the honey, so this is a very risky situation. Crickets are dirty, nasty little buggers that cause skin/scale and eye infections in dragons all the time, and if she's already having a problem and a cricket bites her eye, it's going to end badly...I've seen photos of dragons taken by their owners first thing in the morning after they've turned on the tank lights, and they show a dragon with an eyeball actually missing, gone, chewed out by a loose cricket. So this is something that is very easy to avoid...

omg that's terrible. I had no idea. i will definitely make sure I take apart the cage tonight and make sure there is no crickets left.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, definitely get the crickets out....I forgot to mention that and it's very important as Ellen mentioned. And offer water drops on her snout for a drink [ be patient, drip, stop, repeat ] , they don't recognize standing water.

Stax

Original Poster
AHBD":19agm18p said:
Yes, definitely get the crickets out....I forgot to mention that and it's very important as Ellen mentioned. And offer water drops on her snout for a drink [ be patient, drip, stop, repeat ] , they don't recognize standing water.

ok thanks again for all your help. I'll post a pic of her eye in about a hour and a half when I get home from work. Also I bought a 34" T5HO under screen mountable lighting fixture from Carolina cages on Amazon. I'm just going to order the Reptisun 10.0 High output bulb to go with it on Friday and mount that under the screen. that should be a lot better for her since it's effective up to 11 inches and last a year correct?

Stax

Original Poster
this is the only honey they had at the local store, is it okay if should I hunt for another? also here is the pic of her eye. I feel so bad for her.
96364-3791677104.jpg

96364-9022833756.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She doesn't look too bad but the eye it is slightly irritated. The honey must say either raw or unpasteurized.....that one says pure but it's not unpasteurized. Once it's pasteurized it kills the antimicrobial properties, so that's not the right type.

Stax

Original Poster
AHBD":25co75xl said:
She doesn't look too bad but the eye it is slightly irritated. The honey must say either raw or unpasteurized.....that one says pure but it's not unpasteurized. Once it's pasteurized it kills the antimicrobial properties, so that's not the right type.

damn okay. well some good news. I cut up tiny slices of buttnut squash and she was eating it right out of my hands. I then put a piece on the table was was pushing it with my finger to simulate a worm moving and she snapped at it. So she is definitely improving. She is very alert of her surroundings and was even running across the table. Now she just ate two live crickets too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom