bearded dragon - dead or bruminating ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard51

Hi All,
I am looking after my son's breaded dragon while he is on a working holiday in Canada.
in the last few weeks, Griz (female) was butting her heads against the back wall of the cage, and turning yellow. At nights she would go back to her usual dark colour. I am not sure what this meant.

Recently he looked odder than usual. I set photos to my son and he was not sure.
On the weekend, I put her in the travelling cage while I replaced the sand in the cage and cleaned the glass. All looked good.
Yesterday she was just lying next to the water bowl. The eyes were half open. I moved her to the basking rock, in case she was cold. She has not moved since.
My first thought was that she had died. (I have no idea how old she is, my son has had her for about 2 years). Then I read about brumination, and I am scared about burying her, just in case.
I turned her over, and there appeared to be no response. The eyes have closed. But her belly is still soft.
I feed her crickets, carrot, greens and pellets. The light is a UV fluorescent about 12 months old. The temp in the enclosure us usually about 85 degrees. I do not now how hot the basking area is.

I am wondering how much the local vet knows about lizards ? Are they all competent to decide if Griz is bruminant ? I suspect some times they guess, and hope they are right instead of saying "I don't know".
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Cheers
Richard
BTW how (Can?) I attach pictures of Griz I took recently ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, please post pics. But I'm afraid it sounds like she died.....she should respond when you pick her up + turn her over. It's different if they are in a deep seep in a cold room, but to go from agitated behavior to just laying in one spot sounds like she had some type of terrible incident.

Of course don't do anything if you have any doubt, but do pick her up again + raise her up + down quickly + set her on her in different positions. If she's gone, I want to express my deepest sympathy to you + your son.

Akire

How long has it been since you noticed she may be dead? If she has passed away then rigor mortis should kick in, causing her to feel stiff. Your local vet will know enough to be able to check for a pulse. I would highly recommend taking her to the vet for confirmation if you have any doubts (even just for peace of mind).

I'm sorry you're having to go through this :(

OviDear

Remove the sand at once, replace it with paper towels or newspapers until you can get proper bedding,What kind of lights does she have and can you send pictures of her setup?

Richard51

Original Poster
Hi Ovidear, Akire and AHBD,
Just back from the vet - Griz is dead. No definitive cause. No heartbeat.
So a plot in the backyard is next.

Since my son will be in Canada until at least spring, and we are moving house soon, it there a part of this site to sell the whole kit ? He can build a new enclosure when he returns, and get the accessories.
I will try to contact some of the dragon sellers in the area, to see if some-one wants it. I will put the crickets in the garden, they can go free. too big to feed the local skinks.

Thanks for all your assistance and support. And good luck to your dragons :)
Cheers
Richard

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm sorry that this happened, at least there wasn't prolonged suffering. It's hard to say what caused it . :(
And yes, there is a for sale forum here :

viewforum.php?f=2

You might do better trying to sell locally though.

Richard51

Original Poster
Thanks all you "beardy" people, for your support to us less knowledgeable people, so we can all learn a little more about the people and animals of our planet.
:)
Richard51
I will close this thread now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom