Need beardie help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ntas

I have a beardie from an acquaintance so I don't have much info about him other than he has a sensitive digestive tract. He ate fine was alert and normal for the 1 month we've had him. Eating and passing stools normally. He's about 10-12 inches not sure how old he is. It's been 2 days and he's acting lethargic sleeping all the time barely an appetite. He seems more yellow and his beard is not really black nor is his tip of his tail. He is in a 40 gallon tank with reptile carpet and rocks. Basking lamp on one side temp around 100 and 85 on the cool side. I don't know what to do to help him. He seems to be breathing heavily and every now and then jerks himself awake. Just been laying flat and not eating much. He usually is squirmy when I pick him up and now he's just limp. We've never owned a reptile and am not sure what to do.

I didn't even like him at first (super scared) and we took it in for my boys. Now I've grown attached to the little guy. Any advice is appreciated.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Do you have a probe thermometer? Those little gauge ones are usually not reliable. It may be too hot or cold for your baby.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He is a cute dragon! I am glad you took him in from a friend. It's hard not to get attached to
them, too.
Are you using any UVB source for him? If not, he absolutely needs one, for his overall health.
The best ones are either the Reptisun 10 tube or the Arcadia D3 12% tube. They are the older
T8 models. Depending on the size of your tank, you could consider a T5 (thinner tube), which
is a High output UVB tube bulb that is a much better choice.
You will need to get a digital probe thermometer or a temp gun. He wont do well if the tank
temperatures are not correct. He wont be able to digest his food, he will be lethargic, & will
develop health problems.
You can get the Accurite brand of thermometer at either Walmart or Home Depot. I think they
still run around $12 or so. The basking temperatures need to be in a range of 95-105 for adults,
with the cooler end of around 78-82.
What sized tank do you have him in & which supplementation are you going to be giving him?

Tracie

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Please remove the aquarium gravel from his tank immediately!!!! It's a horrible impaction risk if he swallows any of it, and it harbors bacteria and fungi...Bearded Dragons should really be on only solid substrates, like ceramic tiles, non-adhesive shelf liner, paper towels, etc. Loose substrates like any type of sand (especially any kind of Calcium or Vita sand), wood chips, bedding, bark, mulch, Coco husk, walnut shells, etc. are very, very dangerous to have a beardie on, and this may very well be what is wrong with him (though I'm pretty sure you have no UVB light, so if not then that's your major problem). Aquarium gravel isn't even a typical loose substrate that people mistakenly use in their beardie's tank, it's just really, really awful.

I'm sure you got him this way, his prior owner most likely gave him to you like that with the gravel, so I'm very glad you came on here for advice. Please make the very first thing you do to help him be immediately dumping out the gravel, disinfect the entire inside/outside of his tank and everything inside it with bleach or F10 disinfectant, rinse it out very well until there is no bleach or disinfectant smell (the aquarium gravel is full of bacteria and fungi), and then for the time being just put down clean paper towels that can be easily replaced every time they get soiled. Then think about what you want to do permanently, like going to Lowes and getting tiles to put down (best option)...

Ntas

Original Poster
Thank you everyone! Removing all the gravel now. He's still not eating crickets, beard isn't overly black and super lethargic. Is there any way I can force him to eat something to get him food?

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
You could try some turkey or chicken baby food & a few drops of olive oil. Maybe some Repashy Grub pie.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Poor boy , If he has gone downhill so suddenly he likely has been ill for some time , they are very good at hiding the fact they are ill until they become critically / life threateningly sick and they can no longer hide it , I've seen beardies crash like this several times on these boards. He is EXTREMELY sick and without urgent medical / vet attention likely to die.

Please get him to a reptile vet , this is an emergency , so please don't do what a lot of people seem to do - wait and hope , it usually ends badly.
A vet will be able to give him specially foods via a tube directly into his stomach and will have everything on hand to give Dracula the best possible chance of surviving this.
Here is a list of reptile vets viewtopic.php?f=45&t=234369&p=1803862&hilit=melissa#p1803402, you should be able to find a reptile vet near you , and many vets hold their ER open 24/7 for such emergencies.

If he's been on gravel this is most likely the cause of his problems, but we can't be entirely sure until a vet has assessed him and perhaps taken xrays and bloods.

You were given extremely bad advise on how to care for and raise a bearded dragon before you came here , so here is my cheat sheet : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=234738&p=1806050#p1806050 , it's very thorough and full of hints and tips to help Noobs.

Until you can get him to the vet , please keep him warm 24/7 (30-35 deg Celsius) , it will help his immune system.
As mentioned , you could try some sloppy baby food ( prunes, chicken puree, pumpkin puree ) and use a small diebetics syringe to try to get 0.3-0.4 ml of olive oil into the corner of his mouth .

I hope he makes it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is he doing today?
I agree, he does need to see the vet for probable impaction along with metabolic bone disease.
Have you purchased or shopped for a UVB light for him yet? He will need that in order to start
absorbing his calcium & vitamins.
Do keep him around 80 over night to help boost his immune system. I hope that he is able to
regain some strength, but he is definitely critical.
Let us know how he is doing & how the vet visit goes when you get it scheduled.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom