Need beardie help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ntas

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your concern! :)

Took Dracula to the vet today and discovered HE is actually a SHE! :oops: lols I've been hand feeding her Reptaboost and apple/pumpkin baby food. As well as given her a diluted pedialyte bath prior to taking her to the vet which seem to give her some slight energy.

The vet wasn't able to diagnose exactly what is wrong with her. The Vet offered an X-Ray but can't guarantee it can diagnose what caused her decline. I currently can't afford the $140 services. Her beard had gotten even more black since the weekend.:( But after the vet visit and another feeding session along with a 10-15 minute soak she seems to have a bit more energy (she did fart a lot in the bath :lol: ). She's had a couple of runny stools since hand feeding her but she seems better. Then again, I may be optimistic. She has been keeping her head up and laying under the daytime/UV lamp. Also she's been more active when feeding her licking and moving her head. So I hope that is a positive sign.

Thank you again everyone for your assistance and I hope this is her road to recovery. I will update again the next few days.

Ntas

Original Poster
I spoke too soon! ? Dracula passed some time over night. She was laying on her log with her head up and eyes open last night to the same position this morning. Not breathing or eyes moving. I'm so sad I feel like I did something to cause this. Idk if she was given to us already sick ?

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
I'm so sorry that Dracula did not make it. She was probably already sick when you got her. It was good that you did take her to the vet. RIP Dracula.

Ntas

Original Poster
Thank you. That makes me feel slightly better that I may not be the cause of her demise. Hopefully I can check a local rescue to see if I can't adopt another beardie who needs a home. I just can't bear to see an empty tank even though it was a short time together. ☹️ Who would have thought you can get attached so quickly?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Ntas":3vx9xxgu said:
Thank you. That makes me feel slightly better that I may not be the cause of her demise. Hopefully I can check a local rescue to see if I can't adopt another beardie who needs a home. I just can't bear to see an empty tank even though it was a short time together. ☹️ Who would have thought you can get attached so quickly?

Oh no :( .... poor Dracula , I'm sure you'll miss her. Are you going to get the vet to do an necropsy on her to try to determine her cause of death ?

Before you adopt another rescue , it's a really good idea to thoroughly sterilize all of Dracula's furnature and the viv using F10sc made up 1:125 (to be totally sure you are killing off any pathogens that might still be on surfaces or near the surface).
Anything that can not be totally sterilized using F10 (1:125) , is porous say , goes in the bin.
Vets use F10sc diluted 1:100 to sterilize instruments.
Standard concentration is 1:250 , at 1:125 it will even kill rabies.

Here is information on F10 : http://f10products.com/index.php?id=3

Ntas

Original Poster
Thank you for the information. Yes I plan on cleaning and sterilizing everything today.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I'm very sorry that she passed away, her former owner did not take proper care of her, and she looked like she was suffering from MBD, which is due to her having never had a proper UVB light. Beardies have very, very specific lighting and temperature requirements, their entire lives and all body functions are dependent on them getting 12-14 hours of adequate UVB light, as well as having a proper basking spot temperature and a proper temperature gradient inside their enclosures. And unfortunately their are very few UVB bulbs out their that are appropriate for bearded dragons, only the long tube UVB lights that are rated as 10.0 strength are appropriate for beardies, so you'll absolutely need to get a long Reptisun 10.0 UVB tube, either an 18" or 24", and a long flourescent tube fixture for it. Then you'll need to mount the UVB tube light and fixture inside the tank (unless you order the Reptisun 10.0 T5 High-Output UVB tube instead of the T8 tube, the T5 High-Output UVB tube can be placed on top of a mesh lid, the T8 cannot, the mesh blocks the UVB, and never on top of glass for any UVB tube, UVB does not penetrate glass), and place it right alongside the basking light, so that your beardie can get both lights while on his basking spot. The probe thermometer can then be used to get the correct temperature gradient inside the enclosure. This is what her former owner did not do, and unfortunately she was unable to absorb any Calcium or make any vitamin D3 without the UVB. And remember, NO LOOSE SUBSTRATES!

I always suggest to people that they get their enclosure and lighting all set up, and get the 3 important temperature zones inside the enclosure correct BEFORE they bring home a new beardie, that way this won't happen. That's what her former owner did not do, but you definitely seem willing to do what is necessary to keep a beardie healthy and happy. So if you want help getting your enclosure and lighting set up before you do get a new beardie, please just ask! We'll be happy to help!

Ntas

Original Poster
Does the uvb light have to be a long tube ? I have a screen cover and would prefer the bulb I can put into the light fixture sitting on the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom