Beardie barely eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuinnM131

Hi! My beardie is about 4 months old. She is a sassy girl and Only ate crickets for a few days after I brought her home because the breeders fed her dubias. So I got her small dubias and at first she was eating about 10 a day. Now, she will barely eat one a day. When she had one today, she would chew and then take breaks with it in her mouth.. it seemed like the chewing was too much work for her. And after she had finished chewing she was swallowing a lot more than usual. She has a 100 watt basking bulb, and a uvb bulb. She always drinks when she gets baths but doesn't do much drinking other wise. She is still very alert and will watch the dubias in container, but won't go for them while they are in the tank. Also, she is still pooping regularly, but they are rather watery right now. The dubias are dusted with calcium. Maybe she just likes to change up her eating habits? It's been about 6 days that she has been eating less. I don't think she is shedding.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, pics of her, her complete set up and a list of the exact type + brand of lights will be very helpful. Include a few pics of the size of the roaches compared to a dime. Here's how to post pics:

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload pics

Is it possible that your roaches are a bit too big ?

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Hi Quinn? Did you just get your little one? Because I had the exact same thing happen with Lizzy as a baby. She ate and then stopped. It turned out to be simply an adjustment period to her new home. Can take a few weeks for them to settle in but as AHBD is asking, triple check yr lighting specs ;)

QuinnM131

Original Poster
So she just began to shed on both of her hind legs. I know they tend to eat less while in shed. Also today she has been a bit more aggressive than usual. She bearded at my cat, which I have never seen her do before. She was also a bit more skidish when I held her today before bed time. Usually she will fall right asleep on my leg but today it took a lot to calm her down. She is still only watching them and not chasing them. As far as the set up, I can't do pictures, but she is in a 30 gallon, She has walnuts shell substrate, she has a hide, a water bowl and two different bits of wood to climb on, she also has no background. Her Basking lamp is a 100w exo terra, and her uvb bulb is 10.0 reptisun. I'm going to be buying a new UVB on Friday to see if that helps. And her roaches are all small sized. I've had her for almost a month now.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. I just want to say the substrate she has is bad. Babies get impacted very easily. You're better off using paper towel, non adhesive shelf liner, tile. Good luck I hope her appetite improves :D

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Yep, shedding absolutely effects their eating AND attitude ;)

I agree with destiny, loose substrates are dangerous for babies. The Walnut shells in particular have sharp edges if they happen to ingest them while they are learning to eat. It would be really good if you could remove theme them and use paper towels or an old towel or liner paper. You will find it's cheaper and far more sanitary as well ;)

Do you have digital thermometers? The sticky dial ones are not accurate I found out the hard way. I bought three from Amazon quite cheap as I recall. Her basking area should be about 110 while she is this young tho some like it as warm as 115. There is an excellent lighting lighting article here in the forum ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom