I need help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

browndm87

Hey everyone
I need help with my bearded dragon, im new with a bearded dragon. I think she is dehydrated she is also going through a full body shed. She isnt moving a lot and doesnt want to open her eyes much. She drank water last night and is able to lift her head. I have her scheduled to go to the vet on Friday. Im just really concerned about her. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
You could use an eye dropper with water, just put a drop on her lips, she should start to drink a drop at a time.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
It's always concerning when they become lethargic and won't move or open their eyes, and there are a lot of different reasons that this can happen. Going through a full body shed can definitely stress them, but since you're new, you definitely want to make sure that his enclosure and lighting is both adequate and setup correctly, as typically these issues are caused by inadequate UVB lighting, incorrect temperature zones inside the enclosure, and inadequate diet and supplementing. The best thing that you can do is to post photos of both your beardie and of his enclosure and lighting, and then answer some basic questions about your setup:

-How long have you had him? How old is he? How long and how much does he weigh?
-What size enclosure is he in?
-What UVB light are you using, as far as what brand, model/wattage, and what shape/type (is it a coil bulb, a regular compact bulb, or a long tube)? Is it mounted inside the enclosure or on top of a glass or mesh lid? How far is the UVB bulb from his basking spot?
-What is the brand/color/wattage of your basking bulb?
-What are the temperatures on his basking spot, in his Hot Side, and in his Cool Side? What type of thermometer are you using to measure these temperatures?
-What insect(s) are you feeding him as his staple protein? How many insects do you feed in one feeding? How many feedings do you give him per day? Do you offer him any greens, veggies, or any commercial bearded dragon food?

If you can answer those questions and post photos of him and the enclosure and lighting, we can help you get his setup correct. It's much better to get any bad lighting or incorrect temperatures straightened out early on so that he suffers no long-term health issues from bad husbandry, as this is unfortunately very, very common.

browndm87

Original Poster
Ive had her for about 2 to 3 months. I dont know how much she weighs, Ill take pictures of her when I get home. I got her from petsmart and bought the bearded dragon kit that comes in the 20 gallon tank. It came with a red night light, a day light, and also UVB tube light. I cant think of the wattage right off hand. ill look when i get home. The lights are mounted on the top of the screen. She eats crickets and mealworms and has been eating very well. I give her about 10-20 crickets per day. I got the dehydrated greens from petsmart for veggies and i also give her carrots every now and then. and she has the bearded dragon pellet food in her enclosure all the time. I notice yesterday that the water was evaporated and towards the evening she started acting the way she is now.

We did move her from the bedroom to the living room to where she can be around us more so she is seeing more activity.

I do have an update my boyfriend gave her a bath and she perked up, but i will post pictures later today.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You will probably want to upgrade the UVB light and discontinue using the red light. A bright white light that produces heat along with a high quality UVB light is all she'll need. If the temperatures stay above about 65-70 overnight, then she won't need any additional heat.

I would also offer fresh veges instead of dehydrated ones. Fresh food will give her the hydration and nutrients she needs in addition to live bugs. For some ideas about what to offer in salads I reference this list and just rotate depending on what is fresh at the store each week http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom