Taco turning black

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Porter691":1we82xw3 said:
hey I really appreciate all the information you have provided. I just got off work and can't really answer all the questions rn. No the lights are directly inside the vev no mesh or anything in between. I have tested temps with both temp guns and probes and stuff. I was very scared he was sick. I've only had him just over two weeks but I already love the little bugger and don't wanna lose him.

Sounds like you things have under control, and only a few minor tweeks are warranted (climbing branch , reflector behind T8 10%uvb tube if there is none, maybe some tweeks on the warm zone and basking spot temperatures).

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Not nit-picking, it's just important that the info about uvb + heat is accurate . The screen does not block 50% uvb, and not all types of lights need to be under the screen. Here is the testing done on the 2 types of screen that is used on tank lids. Scroll down to the sub heading discussion.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwid3cDElpXVAhUi_4MKHShgCwoQFgg7MAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.uvguide.co.uk%2Ffluorescenttubemeshtests.htm&usg=AFQjCNEblaL0mKNp5_C2jh6Rckx3w67ucg

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
AHBD":3woa1ca7 said:
Not nit-picking, it's just important that the info about uvb + heat is accurate . The screen does not block 50% uvb, and not all types of lights need to be under the screen. Here is the testing done on the 2 types of screen that is used on tank lids. Scroll down to the sub heading discussion.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwid3cDElpXVAhUi_4MKHShgCwoQFgg7MAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.uvguide.co.uk%2Ffluorescenttubemeshtests.htm&usg=AFQjCNEblaL0mKNp5_C2jh6Rckx3w67ucg

I agree, which is why I pointed out that if she had a T5 it could be mounted on top of the mesh...And I have read many places, including on here and in articles online that a Reptisun T8 tube can have over 50% of it's UVB blocked by metal mesh, it's completely dependent on how close together the holes in the mesh are. I don't think it's a good thing to have even 30% of the UVB blocked anyway, but your numbers are dependent on other factors involved, as well as where you read. I suppose that's true with most information, but the bottom line is that it's better to mount a T8 UVB tube inside the enclosure. If you disagree about that then you're entitled to your opinion, but it's just that, an opinion. There are several threads on here, including a sticky discussing why you should mount your UVB tube inside the enclosure if it's not a T5, which is exactly what I said. Better safe than sorry.

I didn't mean to sound rude, but it seemed like you wrote an entire post just to critique what I wrote, and what I wrote is correct. The OP didn't give enough info about her lighting for me to give exact answers and advice, so I pointed that out, in general terms: T5 on top of mesh, T8 inside enclosure.

I'm not arguing, I don't want to at all, but I feel it's important to give people posting with sick beardies ALL the information from all sides. There are many people on here who believe in mounting any 10.0 UVB tube, which is all the OP said about her light, inside the tank if it is only a T8. And I'll post the links to the articles I've read that state that metal mesh can block over 50% of the UVB light from a light, depending on the size of the holes in the mesh, for you to read in a bit. You should check them out, in all seriousness, one of them includes a very interesting controlled study involving the different mesh patterns and the effects they have. I was surprised that such a small difference in the hole size of the mesh made such a large difference in the amount of UVB blocked.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I don't really trust too many sources on UVB.
The ones I go with are Frances Baines' data sheets, which are posted often here. She has been
doing lighting for years & is a retired reptile vet, as well.
How is Taco doing today?

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
kingofnobbys":2g77249d said:
I had a thought that he might be an Eastern or a Rankins , these are darker , but looking at what I can see of his head shape and beard shape , not a Rankins . Could be an eastern maybe , but if the OP is outside Australia I'm not so sure about that ( believe easterns are pretty scarce captive breed outside Australia from what I've heard - could be wrong ).

I'll stick with dark because he's a tad cold , you could provide a climbing branch so he can get a few inches closer to the UV tube and basking globe , he'll climb to where he feels warm enough of his own accord then.

Had to look her up , I didn't make the connection between her and The UV GUIDE UK ....

Yep , I trust the data there more than that put out by resellers/repackers (um petchains) , many of whom guild the lily or publish info that is so vague as to be virtually worthless.

Unfortunately some key area's of The UV GUIDE are currently closed and being updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom