New beardie owner, need help with his foot please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

breadieluvr

I have a beardie thats only about 5 months old now, and one thats a little younger and I believe that might have had an issue a week ago during the night. I woke up to find his toes were hurt, he hasn't had any change in eating or other habits but its concerning me because his paw looks swollen and they king of look black to me. And after seeing somethings on this page it has me more concerned. Can someone please help me figure out what to do?
92809-150857685.jpg
92809-5857184040.jpg
92809-8375081466.jpg
92809-1153079183.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, you'll need to separate them ASAP. Looks like it was bitten and is a bit swollen, hopefully it can heal up O.K but he may lose a toe or 2. A good reptile vet can determine if it needs antibiotics, and for now if you have sand as the substrate, take it out so it doesn't irritate the wound. If you soak it in betadine [ add to water until it's the color of iced tea ] for 10 minutes a day, then apply Neosporin or raw honey [ like Manuka honey or other unpasteurized honey ] it can help with infection and the honey can help with healing.

If you don't have another tank for the other dragon, get a large plastic tote from Walmart and an aluminum dome light fixture as well as a high watt halogen bulb as temporary housing.

breadieluvr

Original Poster
I have already looked into possible vets to look at it and just can not afford what they want. And if I separate them would I be able to put them back in together, I have never had a problem with them fighting before and haven't seen any aggression between them, I got them a week a part and they have been together ever since. Or should I look into a more long term solution?

**edit- what can I use instead of the sand?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You won't be able to house them together, once a dragon is a biter they usually remain that way. They can take off an entire foot so it's a serious situation. Mybe you could rehome the other one.

For flooring you can use newspaper temporarily [ I've used it at times for over 20 yrs. of owning beardies ] , or non adhesive shelf liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom