injurys

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey, this sounds crazy :/ but today i was playing with my bearded dragon, she's about 7 months old, maybe a little younger, and she was on the floor with me next to my dresser. my phone was on top of my dresser and someone called me, i guess the vibration from the call made my phone fall of my dresser and hit my beardies head... he seems to be eating fine and moving around and sleeping, however he's keeping one of his eyes closed more than usual.. he can open it but he shuts it a lot.. this all happened today :( what should i do? please help.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh that probably didn't feel good!
She is eating ok & moving around normally?
Does there appear to be any type of bruising or other discoloration where the phone may have
hit? Is it swollen at all?
Since she is keeping one of her eyes closed more, that is likely where the phone hit. I would say if that continues you should consider taking her for a vet visit to be sure there isn't a soft tissue injury.
Which phone type, a smart phone or basic phone?

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Ouch !!!

Good thing they have hard skulls and really quick reflexes when they need them .. and these things are getting lighter all the time ... unless it's one of those ones with a really big screen and a really good camera builtin.

I'd keep an eye on her .

How is she today ?

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
It's amazing how freak things like this can happen, and they do happen all of the time, so don't beat yourself up over it too much.

It's good that he's eating and moving around normally because that may rule out a serious head injury, but you need to be very observant of him for the next week or so, and if you see any signs or symptoms of a neurological issue then he needs to go to an experienced reptile vet asap. Look for disorientation, falling over, flipping onto his back, vomiting, lack of appetite, excessive sleeping, etc. These are all signs of concussion and possibly a more serious brain injury, and that would require vet care immediately.

As far as his eye goes, I've always approached pet injuries (as well as my own) with the idea that you don't want to mess around with the eyes, the ears, or the hands (hands apply to people obviously), because these are the organs that are most important to basic daily life and basic life functions, and if a living creature loses their sight or hearing it can be detrimental to their quality of life. Plus, once an eye is injured and the sight is compromised, it's usually not reversible. So I'd say that if he doesn't start keeping that eye open in the next day or two, you need to get him to an experienced certified Reptile vet ASAP to get his eye checked out. The fact that he's keeping it closed indicates that this is where the phone hit him, and he may be keeping the eye closed for a number of reasons, including swelling (this should resolve itself pretty quickly), an injury to the eyeball itself and the light is hurting the eye when its open (more serious and won't resolve itself quickly), etc. So you don't want to mess around with an eye injury if he doesn't start keeping it open soon.

alexandraa816

Original Poster
Drache613":3st91w42 said:
Hello,

Oh that probably didn't feel good!
She is eating ok & moving around normally?
Does there appear to be any type of bruising or other discoloration where the phone may have
hit? Is it swollen at all?
Since she is keeping one of her eyes closed more, that is likely where the phone hit. I would say if that continues you should consider taking her for a vet visit to be sure there isn't a soft tissue injury.
Which phone type, a smart phone or basic phone?

Tracie

it's an phone 6 so it's pretty big. she seems better today tho :) i'll keep everyone updated

alexandraa816

Original Poster
EllenD":2tnhsvzr said:
It's amazing how freak things like this can happen, and they do happen all of the time, so don't beat yourself up over it too much.

It's good that he's eating and moving around normally because that may rule out a serious head injury, but you need to be very observant of him for the next week or so, and if you see any signs or symptoms of a neurological issue then he needs to go to an experienced reptile vet asap. Look for disorientation, falling over, flipping onto his back, vomiting, lack of appetite, excessive sleeping, etc. These are all signs of concussion and possibly a more serious brain injury, and that would require vet care immediately.

As far as his eye goes, I've always approached pet injuries (as well as my own) with the idea that you don't want to mess around with the eyes, the ears, or the hands (hands apply to people obviously), because these are the organs that are most important to basic daily life and basic life functions, and if a living creature loses their sight or hearing it can be detrimental to their quality of life. Plus, once an eye is injured and the sight is compromised, it's usually not reversible. So I'd say that if he doesn't start keeping that eye open in the next day or two, you need to get him to an experienced certified Reptile vet ASAP to get his eye checked out. The fact that he's keeping it closed indicates that this is where the phone hit him, and he may be keeping the eye closed for a number of reasons, including swelling (this should resolve itself pretty quickly), an injury to the eyeball itself and the light is hurting the eye when its open (more serious and won't resolve itself quickly), etc. So you don't want to mess around with an eye injury if he doesn't start keeping it open soon.

yeah today her eye isn't being weird, i haven't seen any signs of an injury, she's eating/sleeping/moving all normally, ill keep watching her tho :(

alexandraa816

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":39x3xqem said:
Ouch !!!

Good thing they have hard skulls and really quick reflexes when they need them .. and these things are getting lighter all the time ... unless it's one of those ones with a really big screen and a really good camera builtin.

I'd keep an eye on her .

How is she today ?

she seems normal i mean, she's eating/ moving/ sleeping all normally i haven't seen her do anything with her eye. i hope she's okay :( thank you for the help :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The iPhone 6 is pretty large then!
Is she keeping the eye open more yet, or not? Is there any swelling or localized bruising/discoloration?
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom