Beardie dislocated hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am very sorry to hear about Shelby, that is so very sad. :cry: I am sorry for your loss, I know how difficult it is to lose one when it has been such a long road.
They said he may have had cancer which was why his back legs were not working well? I wonder what in the world was causing the stiffness?
He may have been having some kidney issues & the antibiotic was too hard on his body, causing him to have a black beard.
I hope your female is doing well!

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, I'm so sorry to hear this. :( I know how hard it is to make such a decision and even when it's the right choice it doesn't help the pain + sadness you feel. My condolences to you, you really tried very hard to help your baby.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
RIP little Shelby .... :(

I think you did the best thing you could do for him since he had so little hope of any kind of quality of life and had only more pain to look forward to. I can imagine it was a dreadful situation to be in to have to decide to get the vet to put him to sleep.

Misky

Original Poster
Thanks everybody for the condolences! Even being a reptile I was just as attached to him as I am with my cats. Never thought that would happen when we 1st got them. :) The dr didnt say that the cancer necessarily caused all the other problems (would have needed more testing), just that the bone was dying in different places on leg which points to cancer. I'm thinking his legs were stiff cause he was in pain. We just increased the pain meds but he only got 1 shot before going to vet. Well hopefully he was in a little less pain when he got put down at least. RIP Shelby!
I'm wondering if Shelby being gone will affect Zilla (female) at all, like sadness or stress? Do beardies care if their previous mate disappears?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is definitely a different type of bond than with your dog or cat.
I have witnessed reactions or feelings, however you want to interpret it, from our dragons when one passes. They can become somewhat attached or used to seeing or being around another one, to an
extent & may show or exhibit feelings of loss. They do not like change & can get used to a certain person or dragon & when they are no longer around it will affect them.
I hope your girl is doing well!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom