Anemic 3 year old beardie, I'm so worried

Status
Not open for further replies.

tendo102

Hi,

I don't really know where to start, we've had our bearded dragon (our first ever) Trevor, for well over a year, and he is about 3 now. We really love him and he is lovely, but over the last few months he has been acting weird. I located an exotics and reptile vet and I took him first time about 5 months ago because he completely stopped eating his vegetables. This was after me and my husband went away for a week and my parents looked after him (they have their own bearded dragon too but they were kept in separate rooms). They checked him over, even gave him a heart scan and everything came up clear.

He has continued to be reluctant with his veggies since then. I have tried offering him many different things with no interest. I know he doesn't like us watching when he eats too, I've only ever seen him eat veggies when he doesn't think we're looking. Anyway, he was still acting weird, going through phases of not eating at all, an almost constant black beard and one point, and hiding in the shade. I took him back to the vet with a fecal sample which I get the day before and put in the fridge. I have since read that you shouldn't but fecal samples in the fridge, just a cool place. But they said the parasite level was slightly higher then average, but still within the average threshold so gave us some Avipro to bath him in for a while.

Over christmas we bought him a new 6ft viv. I will be entirely honest (yell at me if you have to, I want to know what I'm doing wrong) I have been moving his tank decor around trying to figure out the perfect set up for him.

About 2 weeks ago now I noticed his tongue starting to look a little paler pink the normal. I called the vet the next day and brought him in the day after. They took a blood test (it was a Saturday when it was taken). At this time he was eating but only super worms (not many veggies again, wouldn't eat silks, wouldn't eat calci worms, wouldn't eat crickets or locusts which I was alright with because I hate how they jump). I forced myself over my stupid fear of roaches in the house and ordered 30 Dubia roaches. He at 2 pretty quick and went for a 3rd but when he missed twice, he kind of gave up interest. This was on Wednesday 8th March and that was the last thing hes eaten to this day.

On that same Wednesday I got a phone call for results, which confirmed he was anemic and his protein levels were a little low dispite eating protein with no problems at this point. I have never noticed blood in his poo (and I've been inspecting it for months, convinced he was ill!) and no blood anywhere else (I would have freaked the **** out if I had found blood!). The vet believes that it is coccidia and we picked up anti biotics that same day to begin treating for it, and took home a small container to bring in his next poo to test it for sure. He poos about once a week at the best of times, and only ever in the bath, rarely in his tank. On Friday he pooed whilst I was giving him a probiotic bath, it fell apart immediately and I rushed to grab the little container to catch it in! It was all mixed in with water and was probably a terrible sample but with him not eating and a rare pooer anyway I took it in just in case they can use it to test, and promised to bring in a better one when he does it.

Today marks the last day of this course of antibiotic treatment, he has been having daily baths. He hates me, displaying a black beard when I go to his tank, but he is still happy around my husband. He has not eaten a thing for 7 days now and I am stressing out. He is still alert but here is a list of the things that are up with him at this very point.

He hides in the shade, ALL THE TIME. We have to put him under his basking light, where he stays for a little while, then hides in the shade again. He is cold a lot of the time now because of this. We have to place him in his light!

When I removed his hide, he just lies down and sleeps a lot, rather then basking.

Not eating veggies, super worms or dubia.

I have not been able to give him calcium for a week now as a result, I have seen his head twice ever so slightly on occassion. He previously had MBD before we got him, one of his hind legs cant fully straighten as a result but he walks fine on it and had it checked by the vet on his second visit.

Tongue is still white. I don't know how long it would take for it to start to pinken again if the reason for his anemia is parasites whilst on anti biotics.

He closes one of his eyes a lot now, the same eye. I brought this up with the vet when he was last there and she didn't seem concerned at the time, his eye looked fine, but when I ring her (she is back in tomorrow) I will bring all of this up.

Husbandry

Tank: 6ft x 20in deep x 25in high.

Lighting: T5 12% Arcadia UVB mounted in a Slimline canopy 54w, stretches almost the entire length of vivarium. 100w Spotlight basking bulb to far right of tank.

Temperatures: Hot side 35c (95f), cool side 27.5c (81.5f). I use thermometers with probes, one located in the cool and one located on the warm. The temp gun, I've just used to check (I normally use it to check temp of bath water for Trevor) hot point on wood basking spot is around 43c (110f). That is too hot. I didn't think the wood would be so hot.

Substrate: Non adhesive luxury vinyl tile in a slightly textured dark grey. Interlocking so no gaps.

Food: Annoyingly, mostly superworms. Tried other proteins, no interest other then most recently 2 dubia roaches which he seemed keen on, before we started him on antibiotics. Veg is mostly rocket (the only thing I've seen him eat) and I provide butternut squash, but I don't think hes ever eaten any. Annoyingly fussy and stubborn, and I'm probably doing something wrong to not be able to break that from him.

Supplements: Vetark Calci-dust on most feedings, Exo Terra Multi Vitamin once or twice a week.

Medication right now: 15ml Sulfatrim daily. Bathing daily with Vetark Avipro. I don't feel like he is getting enough Pro biotics but I don't know. I am bathing him in a baby bath, shallow depth water (that his vent is submerged) and I have been using about 3 or more scoops of Avipro and bathing him for around 20mins. The water get cold fast. I've tried dripping water on his nose (which has worked in the past, he has even drank from a spoon, his water bowl, or water cupped in our hand in the past. Right now, nothing!)

I think thats everything. I am sorry this is such a mammoth post. I thought I would see if anyone has any ideas or experience of anemia in a Bearded Dragon, if anti biotics are to blame for his total loss of appetite and full on lethargy or what.

I thank you so much in advance. I don't mind being told off if I'm doing something horribly wrong, I just want Trevor to be well and happy again. I hate seeing him like this.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I'll mention a few things that are causing his behavior. When a dragon is moved to a new tank, it is as if they've been moved to a new environment that is totally foreign to them without any choice. This in itself can cause stress, and some adult dragons will actually go in to an almost brumation tpe period, or at least a period of very low activity + hiding. This can be normal behavior in these circumstances. Is he losing weight ? And please post a few pics of him, full body shots as well as of the new viv. Here's how :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to attach pics

I disagree with giving the sulfatrim when there is no actual diagnosis but just a guess. Also, soaking him in a supplement will do no more for him than it would for you or I....it will not be absorbed through his rectum. That's an old myth that some vets hang on to. Oral hydration is the only wy it can take place. And if he does not like baths then this is extra stress on him so you can cut them out except for 1-2X a week at the most if he drinks while being soaked.

Give him time to settle in and , as you suspect, moving his tank decor is going to upset him at this point as well. Just give him time + once you stop the meds. + he gets used to his new home he may come around out of the blue. Hope he's feeling better soon ! :)

tendo102

Original Poster
AHBD":3n5wrzd1 said:
Hi there, I'll mention a few things that are causing his behavior. When a dragon is moved to a new tank, it is as if they've been moved to a new environment that is totally foreign to them without any choice. This in itself can cause stress, and some adult dragons will actually go in to an almost brumation tpe period, or at least a period of very low activity + hiding. This can be normal behavior in these circumstances. Is he losing weight ? And please post a few pics of him, full body shots as well as of the new viv. Here's how :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to attach pics

I disagree with giving the sulfatrim when there is no actual diagnosis but just a guess. Also, soaking him in a supplement will do no more for him than it would for you or I....it will not be absorbed through his rectum. That's an old myth that some vets hang on to. Oral hydration is the only wy it can take place. And if he does not like baths then this is extra stress on him so you can cut them out except for 1-2X a week at the most if he drinks while being soaked.

Give him time to settle in and , as you suspect, moving his tank decor is going to upset him at this point as well. Just give him time + once you stop the meds. + he gets used to his new home he may come around out of the blue. Hope he's feeling better soon ! :)

Thanks so much for you reply. Here are some pictures I just took now:

86930-5724324551.jpg

86930-2377738683.jpg

86930-2681328543.jpg

86930-5235735914.jpg

86930-1604310773.jpg

86930-2714008410.jpg

He is under his lamp because I put him there again and he is still there as I type this, basking. I just weighed him and he is 547g, about the same as he was about a week ago so he hasn't lost weight, but he weight has fluctuated in the times he has been taken to the vet and weighed.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He looks very fit + healthy, and remember that a 10-20 gram weight fluctuation is even normal since they can lose that much after a large b.m. Right now he's taking advantage of his ability to hide when he doesn't feel secure. They really can go through stress from moving. I would suggest another basking area over on the other end, another low watt light bulb so he has more than only one area of heat. Either that or put a few pieces of the other cage decor by the basking light.

And again, what is the exact dose of sulfatrim and how much longer will he be on it ? It's a rather harsh drug + can cause tummy upset + dehydration.

tendo102

Original Poster
AHBD":3h2awu6d said:
He looks very fit + healthy, and remember that a 10-20 gram weight fluctuation is even normal since they can lose that much after a large b.m. Right now he's taking advantage of his ability to hide when he doesn't feel secure. They really can go through stress from moving. I would suggest another basking area over on the other end, another low watt light bulb so he has more than only one area of heat. Either that or put a few pieces of the other cage decor by the basking light.

And again, what is the exact dose of sulfatrim and how much longer will he be on it ? It's a rather harsh drug + can cause tummy upset + dehydration.

I think there are things I can do to prevent stressing him out as much, I feel so bad about that but I need to change and make him feel more comfortable.

0.15ml once a day, today is the last day and I've already given it to him, so thats it now.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, the sulfatrim was likely not needed so at least he is done with that for now!
I think the reason he became anemic was simply due to stress from being moved. Were the iron levels the only thing off on his blood test, were his kidneys & liver readings good?
It can sometimes take a couple of weeks or longer at times, for them to readjust to being moved into a new enclosure! They can become very attached to their homes.
The Arcadia T5 12% tube is a great bulb too so there shouldn't be any issues there with the UVB lighting.
He looks to be in great condition & of a good weight, too.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Reading your post I picked up on the same thing, it sounded like he is trying to burmate. Moving things around will only stress him more. They don't like change very much and, seems like everything has been in constant change for a while. In this case, his behavior is pretty typical.
When I moved Preaches into her new viv, I tried very hard to make it look as close to what her old one looked like as possible and, I honestly don't think she even noticed, lol!!! Ungreatful brat, lmao!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today? Keep us posted on him, we all would like to know
his progress.

Tracie

tendo102

Original Poster
Drache613":33y8f5rg said:
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today? Keep us posted on him, we all would like to know
his progress.

Tracie

Hey, he's been off the anti biotics now since Tuesday (I am glad its over. I thought we were doing the right thing) but he still hasn't eaten a thing for about a week an a half now and I'm getting very worried. The fecal we sent showed no coccidia but some pin worms. I have been mostly leaving him be for the last few days to prevent stressing him further, other to change his salad and offer food. He basks a little but still hides mostly. I'm worried he will be dehydrated now I know bathing him daily was not hydrating him at all. He still wont drink if I drop water on his nose. I've just weighed him and his is 546g.

I hope he eats soon, the vet wants to do another blood test soon to see if his anemia is improving. I want to move the light like you suggested too, I felt since putting it in it was too far to the right, but wasn't sure.

Other then that he looks fine, he still walks about, he is showing his orange beard more often (which I take as a result of being off the anti biotics making him feel ****ty) so I'm going to keep offering food and limiting things that might stress him and hope for the best. I'll keep you all updated, thank you for your concern!

tendo102

Original Poster
Gormagon":34r5zty4 said:
Reading your post I picked up on the same thing, it sounded like he is trying to burmate. Moving things around will only stress him more. They don't like change very much and, seems like everything has been in constant change for a while. In this case, his behavior is pretty typical.
When I moved Preaches into her new viv, I tried very hard to make it look as close to what her old one looked like as possible and, I honestly don't think she even noticed, lol!!! Ungreatful brat, lmao!

Haha! I should have tried to do the same thing! I did the complete opposite though so I am probably stressing him the hell out. I think back and it has been a constant. One big change in to his new tank, the lots of little changes where I think the set up could be better. I feel awful I really wish I hadn't.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He probably has slown down some for brumation & a lot of tank changes will definitely stress him out. How is he doing?
When are you having the other blood test done?
I hope he is basking a little bit anyway, in between his napping.

Tracie

tendo102

Original Poster
Drache613":1sapu7te said:
Hello,

He probably has slown down some for brumation & a lot of tank changes will definitely stress him out. How is he doing?
When are you having the other blood test done?
I hope he is basking a little bit anyway, in between his napping.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom