Diarrhea, reduced appetite, acting weird...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kenny is about 5 mos old, I think. We got him 12/23 and they said he was 8 weeks. He is 15 inches long and weighs 6.1 ounces. Last week we switched from 20 gallon tank, Reptisun 10.0 T8, plus a 100 watt bulb, 100to 110F, 85F cool side, probe thermometer, to a 75 gallon tank with a 100watt Powersun, 10 inches away, 103F basking temp, 85 cool side, same probe thermometer. He never seems to use his cool side in either tank.

The viv transition seemed to go okay. His beard turned black when he saw enclosure but we put him in it the next day and he seemed fine. He still hasn't explored very much but likes to lay on his stone ledge under the lamp.

Kenny had a weird BM on Friday, like a normal poop but with some brown watery stuff. I chalked it up to him maybe being overhydrated as I had gotten him to drink Thursday night, and so did hubby, not knowing I had already. Plus he was given a bath.

Saturday he had 100% diarrhea, and was acting weird - running away from me, beard blackening frequently and not wanting to eat much. He normally has a voracious appetite. Also I noticed that he appears to be shrunken, skin around his belly is loose and wrinkly. He almost looks skinny but his tail is fat. unfortunately the vet was already closed. My vet has special knowledge/training with Beardies so I don't like to go to other vets. I took him outside on our lanai as it was a warm sunny day. He was scared at first but perked right up. Later in the evening he ate some superworms. Hubby and I decided to go back to Reptisun as soon as we get a light fixture that is big enough. All the breeders use the power sun though, I am not sure that this is the problem.

Today is Sunday, I am calling the vet first thing in the morning to see how soon they can see him. He had somewhat explosive diarrhea this am. His beard was fully black, he looks smaller though he hasn't lost weight, and he won't eat or drink. His stomach was contracting hard when he had diarrhea.

Is there anything I can do for him until he sees the vet? It is not very sunny today so far but if the sun comes out I will take him out on the lanai again and give him a bath too.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....whenever you see new behavior or a possible health concernthat is not urgent, the first thing to look at is whether anything has changed. So it IS possible that moving has caused some degree of stress and this, along with extra hydration, may have been the cause. By the way, has he been eating supeworms for a while and has he had anything different in his diet ?

You might wait a few days to see if the poo gets back to normal.

KendrickLamar

Original Poster
Update - Kenny just had a few small spots of diarrhea and clear as day, some blood.

To answer your question about his diet he eats crickets, small superworms and phoenix worms. And yes, shortly before the sudden change in behavior I fed him a few was worms. We had run out of phoenix worms and he was eating more crickets than usual, it seemed like they were not filling him up so I threw in the was worms until I get the shipment of phoenix worms.

He went from being a fat hungry dragon to suddenly looking frail 2nd small in the space of a week. I am also worried it may be my fault because I have long hair that sheds so much, and twice I have caught him with one of my hairs half swallowed, or in his poop. I am afraid maybe it is wrapped around something internally and causing the bleeding?! Why does this have to happen on the weekend!??

KendrickLamar

Original Poster
Update - Kenny just had a few small spots of diarrhea and clear as day, some blood.

To answer your question about his diet he eats crickets, small superworms and phoenix worms. And yes, shortly before the sudden change in behavior I fed him a few wax worms. We had run out of phoenix worms and he was eating more crickets than usual, it seemed like they were not filling him up so I threw in the wax worms until I get the shipment of phoenix worms.

He went from being a fat hungry dragon to suddenly looking frail 2nd small in the space of a week. I am also worried it may be my fault because I have long hair that sheds so much, and twice I have caught him with one of my hairs half swallowed, or in his poop. I am afraid maybe it is wrapped around something internally and causing the bleeding?! Why does this have to happen on the weekend!??

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hmmmm, change in environment [ stress ] or in diet can cause diahhrea but shouldn't cause bleeding. That does sound like a trip to the vet is warranted. Hopefully everything turns out O.K

KendrickLamar

Original Poster
Update - Last night we switched back to the Reptisun T5 and 100 watt bulb. He seemed a little better this morning, still refusing superworms but went nuts for crickets. Though Kendrick was eating a bit better today and his tummy did not look as shrunken, and he actually had a solid normal poop for the first time in a while, hubby took him to the vet anyway.

He was treated for flagellates and ever since seems to be a new beardie! He ate a good amount of Phoenix worms that we got in the mail today, not his typical amount by any means but improving... He is also a lot less lethargic, he actually sits up to bask instead of laying plastered to his stone basking spot. He is also running around and trying to jump on everything. I am not sure if it is the fresh new Reptisun bulb, the metronidazole, or the fun field trip to the vet that has him all perked up but I had forgotten what he was like.

So happy to see my lil guy happy again! It is worth it to spend $80 to have him feeling good than to agonize over whether he might be sick or not!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom