Brumation or Sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoelleL

Hello all! I need some input on my beardies recent behavior lately.

So I have some concerns regarding her, and this has been going on for about 3 months now. I could just be over-worrying but I need others input of their own experiences.

Now, she's about a year and 3 months old, and I have her in a 4 x 2 x 2 melamine enclosure with newspaper substrate, and basking spot temp of 97-100 degrees and cool side 84.
untitled_by_afvckingdelight-db03emv.jpg

As you can see she's lying down there between her log hide and another log. She's awake. Her activity has gone down, she completely stopped eating greens a few months ago (I've always had trouble getting her to eat greens tho) and went off feeders a few weeks ago. Obviously she's not pooping because she's not eating, and I would really, really like to get a fecal test just to make sure she's parasite free even if she's in the brumation process.

But my issue is that she's not really sleeping? like she'll keep her head up and eyes open and just watch me but doesn't want to move or eat; however, when I do pick her up and get her out from one spot, she is very alert and has no problem moving around if she really wants to. When i put her back in she'll eagerly just go and curl up in another spot or the same spot and do the same stuff. My vet told me brumating dragons are hardly awake and will be essentially limp when you try to handle them b/c they're so drowsy. Bengal isn't like that.

unnamed__1__by_afvckingdelight-db08xty.jpg

unnamed_by_afvckingdelight-db08xtu.jpg

I guess my question would be, should I try and get food in her to try and get her to poop so i can get a fecal done? Or just leave her alone? I read that hindering brumation can be problematic but also feeding during this time period is also problematic... so I'm kinda conflicted? So Either she's been trying to brumate for 3 months but I just haven't fully let her do that or something is wrong with her.

NoelleL

Original Poster
kyleena29":12r2977v said:
i think the one key thing is has she lost any weight?

one of two grams but overall i think her weight is maintaining... but also the scale i have is not quite big enough to fit her so it could be off ?

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
If she doesn't seem to have lost weight it could be brumation. I had one that hid and slept all day but still ate sometimes. They don't necessarily sleep straight through for a long period of time. When mine did it I didn't realize it till after the fact. I don't have enough experience on what you should do or not do. Just make sure she's had a fecal done reccently. I only know if they haven't lost weight it's probably brumation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom