Yellow tinged eye mucus, experienced owners please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My little man is worrying me and after our vet visit left me more confused than when I went in Im coming here till I can get to the next vet. Hes had some yellow tinged mucus in his eyes from time to time. What Im confused about is its not crusting over, it usually shows up during his shed, and hes had no change in appetite (eats like a horse). Has anyone else ever come across something like this ? Hes about 3 months old (i think) 8 inches long, 35 grams, eats pheonix worms, hornworms and turnip greens as a regular diet with wax worms as a treat, I calcium dust every other day, baths at least every other day. hes also recently had some mucus in his poo so Im sending a fecal in to be tested tomorrow, hoping its just from the recent introduction of hornworms into his diet but wanna make sure. Im just baffled, and Ive spent way to many hours pouring over these sites and finding nothing. Side note, hes had this eye thing basically since I got him, I assumed it was the RI he got from the cold snap we had but the RI is mostly gone and the eye mucus just flared up again.
90254-2233309015.jpg
90254-8928047763.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is on both eyes?
Does it seem to happen just when he sheds?
It could be a residual issue left over from the respiratory problem. Did you medicate him for
that or not?
Have you tried bumping up the temperatures overnight to help the immune system?
You can also try using some sterile saline drops to help flush the eyes out. I don't think any antibiotics are needed yet, but I would watch the eye to be sure it doesn't become infected.
You could consider trying an antibiotic eye ointment to see if that helps alleviate the symptoms.
I have never heard of hornworms causing the eyes to water like that though.
I am glad to hear his appetite is good though!

Tracie

DonnaRaine

Original Poster
Yes its in both eyes but not always, its there sometimes when hes not shedding but it flares up when he is Ive noticed, he is still being medicated for the RI, three more doses left but the meds arent very strong and its hard to get them down him since hes so small. Temperatures stay at least 70 at night, Ive managed to make the room retain heat, sometimes it reaches 80. Daytime is 95-100 temp. Ive tried the saline drops once before we got the meds, will probably try it again. He lets me qtip it away from his eye most of the time. I was thinking the hornworms may have caused the extra mucus in his bowel movements that just started the other day, wasnt sure if they could be related. Im hoping maybe he just has allergies or something, like people do, idk if thats possible though.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, what a cute little bugger. :) It's great that he's eating well even while o the meds, and I think the mucous in his poo is probably from the hornworm. I wanted to mention that him being so small you may not want to now give him parasite meds [ if the fecal comes back positive ] for at least a few weeks or month to let him have a break from the antibiotix . They can easily put him off his food and he's too young for that, so let him eat well like he has been + grow well so he can be a larger size before starting him on another type of medication. Some babies will stop eating + go downhill if given meds. for too long.

DonnaRaine

Original Poster
Thank you very much for that feedback ! and good to know you also think the mucus in the stool is from the hornworms. I am sending the fecal in today, just to be sure but I agree since hes eating so well I wont put him on any more meds for a while
90254-6722199195.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, I wouldn't give more meds, yet. Let his system normalize first so he doesn't lose his appetite right now.
The hornworms are high in water too but I definitely think that they caused some of the mucous in the stool.
How do his eyes look?

Tracie

DonnaRaine

Original Poster
My camera/phone just took a **** so I cant get any more pics, still some mucus, I try to swab it away when I can get him to let me. Hes mid shed right now so hes a little grumpy. When I first got him they had him on sand and told me to keep him on it, but it almost immediately got in his eye so I took it out, Im wondering if maybe that one grain of sand in his eye might have caused it but I really dont know. Im saving up money to go to the new vet but like I said, I already wasted 150 bucks on a 'herp vet' who yanked on his beard, turned him upside down and only spent 10 minutes with me after I waited 2 hours for him. Just remembered I have some old pics of the eye problem, attaching them here.
90254-4205562654.jpg
90254-5884871408.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is very possible that some sand could have gotten lodged in his eye that has irritated it to the point of it causing these issues. You could try getting some antibiotic eye ointment if you haven't already tried that, too.
Or, try some raw, unpasteurized honey or manuka honey to put in the eye. Warm it up & thin it out to be able to make a thin eye drop to apply into his eye.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom