Urgent Gout help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamawheeler09

Original Poster
A friend of mines husband has allopurinol that will let me borrow a couple until I can get some in. But I have no idea how to give it? Thanks!!

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Sorry, didn't get much research done on the alfalfa concentrate. Bad migraine for over 24 hrs now. But I would stick with a more natural treatment before trying to calculate dosage of human allopurinol to animal weight. Medicine is medicine until it's poison...dosage is pretty important.
I'll try to get some research done on the concentrated alfalfa later today.

Mamawheeler09

Original Poster
No worries! You've been awesome helping in the first place :) and yes that is exactly why I don't want to give it without someone who's used it telling me how. Funny that my friends husband takes the medication my dragon needs tho lol

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah, allopurinol has been a treatment for human gout for a long time and many human meds can be used for animals. It's the dosage that is the tricky part...not all meds are metabolized the same way.
I have been a nurse for a very long time so I can do the conversions...but it's still not an exact science when your dealing with two totally different species.
Frequently patients would say "I took 10 Motrin and I still have a headache".... Great now you still have a headache and damaged your kidneys. Medicine is medicine until it's poison....

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today?
I got your PM so will answer back & can help with proper Allopurinol dosing & compounding, too. I'm glad to hear you can get some started for him though, that is good news.
Were you able to get greens & alfalfa drops into him today?
At least he had a nice bath, too that should help out for him, if he enjoys the baths, that is.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I'm working through some alfalfa research now. I'll attach things that I think are interesting. I haven't found dosage recommendations for the tincture. I'm sure it depends on the strength it's mixed at, but I'll keep looking. I did find one web page that says it isn't recommended for gout....but all the other data says the exact opposite, even the PDR page.

http://www.homeremediesweb.com/gout-home-remedies.php
http://www.diy-home-remedies.com/natural-gout-remedy.html
http://www.digherbs.com/gout.html
http://www.livestrong.com/article/556390-does-apple-juice-prevent-gout/
http://blogs.naturalnews.com/7-powerful-herbs-dissolve-uric-acid-crystal-naturally/
http://m.pdr.net/Mobile/Pages/full-prescribing-information/Gout-Support-alfalfa-herb-boswellia-serrata-bromelain-quercetin-anhydrate-tart-cherry-extract-23940

Mamawheeler09

Original Poster
Thank you all so much. With an incredibly heavy heart Toothless is in the process of passing away. His eyes are deeply sunken in, he did drink some water and we had been giving the juices. I can't save him and this is the hardest part of animal rescuing. Definitely a learning stone for me as far as trusting my gut and being a better advocate. He received a lot of love from our kids, they are almost 8 and 6...this is the first animal we have lost so they are pretty heart broken as well. I currently have him laying on my chest and comforting him as much as I can. I truly appreciate all of the help and I will continue on this thread for my other dragon.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Oh no...
I'm really, really sorry. You tried, and that's all you can do sometimes. It sounds like he was worse off than any sort of intervention could have helped.
Again, I'm really sorry.

Mamawheeler09

Original Poster
He truly was...and it was internal so we didn't know how bad he really was. We have had him for an entire year surrounded by nothing but love. Now he can be free to all the bugs he can eat in beardie heaven lol. Thank you again. I am glad that he waited for us so we could officially say goodbye but it is truly hard watching the life leave his little body. ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I am so very sorry for Toothless, that is such a horrible thing to have to go through. :cry: Poor thing, I wonder if there were more underlying issues going on along with gout.
I am quite sure he feels comfort with you. My heart goes out to you & your family.

Tracie

Mamawheeler09

Original Poster
I think it definitely was a combination of things, the gout being the biggest. I think his body has just shut down on him...it was all too much. The conditions he was in prior to coming to me were awful. No heat, no uvb, rarely any food, water, reptibark. He had a very large amount of diarrhea in the amount of time I'd gone to the store, about 2-3 hours, no urate and it was nearly black. He sat in it, eyes closed and I took him for a bath to get him cleaned up...when I sat him in the water he didn't move at all. He left his head hang in the water so I picked him up to situate him better and he began drinking some water, this is the first in days that I haven't had to force it. I let him drink his heart out, I picked him up to clean him and noticed that suddenly his eyes are sunken in and they weren't that way this morning. The soft spot on his head is no longer soft either. He has definitely had a rough life but he touched our lives in a great way, he's helped me thru my struggles of health problems like a therapy cat or dog would do. He will be deeply missed. Thank you!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I'm heart broken for you but at least he had you & got to have a wonderful home for awhile. I know that he was happy. He will definitely be missed. :cry:
It is extremely difficult having to watch the life go out of them, it kills me.

Tracie

Mamawheeler09

Original Poster
It is so so hard! I can't imagine what this poor little guy ever did to deserve this. He is still here...but barely. He keeps jerking his head up, taking a huge deep breath, and slowly letting his head fall back to my chest. I truly wish I had found this forum sooner, he would have had a much better chance. I am so grateful that I got to be his human mom for a year...he has been such a light and joy for us!

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Loosing a valuable member of the family is always so difficult...
I don't even know what to say....I keep looking at my phone but not typing. Words are hard to come by right now, so I will just say thank you for trying to do everything you could, and I'm really sorry.
I'm giving my 17 y/o cat a big hug right now because I know one day soon I won't be able to.

Mamawheeler09

Original Poster
Yes it is! I love reptiles, I've grown up with exotic animals my whole life. And just knowing that there is no such thing as a shelter for reptiles is hard for me to imagine! So here I am rescuing and falling in love with them! It is definitely not for the faint of heart. We will definitely treasure the time we've had with him. And it definitely won't stop me from helping those I can. :)
We also have a cat who is almost 17! How funny! He turns 17 in may. I have had him since I was 11 years old so that will be the hardest loss when the time comes. It's crazy to think he has watched me grow up! He's totally spoiled too. We are horrible spoiling the hell out of these animals lol. But Toothless is the prime example of why we spoil them! They deserve it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom