toes rotting

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieLover232

Hatchling Member
hello, my beardie friends and family. this has been an issue for a while, but lizarto my dragon that has non working back legs, still twitching till this day, lizarto is loosing weight, and he is happy. (hooray). now, his right foot. seem to be rotting, he lost three toes and now he has the only two on his two on the right, it makes me worry that he is not going to have any left.
i went to the vet about it, they told me that its gonna be fine, but i am afraid that its gonna fall out, and i don't want his little toes to fall out, it looks so painful...
so, my set up. its a 55 gallon tank, the heat lamp is in the middle (about 98-100) and there is two cold sides (about 70). cause my lizards live together. and they don't fight or want to bite each other. i just put in a new heat lamp 150W. also having a UVB repute-sun 10.0 compact bulb that was put in, on june, the UVB bulb is always 12 inches for my lizards, and its in my tank, i don't like the wired lids.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
BDlover, can you post some close up pics of his toes ? If he's housed with another, the toes are probably getting bitten off. It's very common with dragons if they're housed together. You will need to set up another tank.

BeardieLover232

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
they been housed together for almost a year. squishy never eats anything but his veggies and crickets. squishy is the picker upper of stuff on the floor doe and not on lizards! let me get the picture of lizarto's toe!

BeardieLover232

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i can't upload that photo of the dragon toe. happens to be that picture.. .
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/beardie/beardeddragon.org/useruploads/_processupload.php on line 85: imagecreatefromjpeg(): gd-jpeg, libjpeg: recoverable error: Premature end of JPEG file
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/beardie/beardeddragon.org/useruploads/_processupload.php on line 85: imagecreatefromjpeg(): '/tmp/phpB1Kimd' is not a valid JPEG file

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I really hope your dragon is doing well - Just wanted to pop in with my two cents.

I was one of the cocky/misinformed owners that thought I would be ok to put a baby bearded dragon in with my adult and share a 40g breeder simply because my adult beardie was so incredibly calm and never bites that I trusted him. Granted I had the size difference against me, but I learned immediately this was not possible (with no injuries to either, just reaction.) I went out and bought an entire second set-up that night. What I mean to say is demeanor can change instantly with them.

My 2 are housed separately and I wouldn't have it any other way. Even at young ages, how they are displayed in pet stores, dragons will easily lose toes to nippy cage mates whether hungry or territorial. Even if you haven't seen any harm between the two, that doesn't rule out that it hasn't happened or could possibly happen.

Edit*** I am including a link to showcase my point. WARNING - GRAPHIC
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=228673

I would honestly highly recommend you separate the two immediately, especially if you have one that is injured. If this was caused by the tank mate this could be a lot of added stress.

By no means am I claiming that housing them together caused it, just that it is possible. For the general welfare of both I would get a second enclosure.

I think pictures would definitely help once you are able

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom