Dragon sick.. Possible brumation while sick help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niltimere

We acquired a bearded dragon we took him to the vet because he wasn't eating and they found of intestinal parasite so they gave him meds via syringe for the few other shots for vitamins to boost his appetite went back to the vet with a stool sample found out the parasite was gone but he had lost weight from the last visit and brought them in the second time because he wasn't eating anything at all offered to him so they gave them of B vitamin shots AD food in a can to be given to him ORALLY. Spike is very weak and he tries to reject the food so should I leave them alone even though he's skinny or in hibernation? I'm very frustrated right now and I don't want him to die.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
What are your enclosure temps, and how long are the lights on? You really don't want a sick dragon to brumate. But this may not be brumation, it could be a result of the illness. Let us know more about your enclosure and temps. What type of lights are you using for heat and UV?

Niltimere

Original Poster
Rankins":1z1fm9l1 said:
What are your enclosure temps, and how long are the lights on? You really don't want a sick dragon to brumate. But this may not be brumation, it could be a result of the illness. Let us know more about you enclosure and temps. What type of lights are you using for heat and UV?

We have a basking lamp that gets to be 90° and that stays on until we go to bed 8p.m. we wake up and turn it back on. The Cool side is ranging 70° with a regular uv bulb. That goes off at night along with the basking lamp as well. We put a moon black light bulb on at night until the morning. That gets up to 75 to 80. We keep the humidity down with a dehumidifier keeping the tank below 40 humidity. thing is the vet said keep Force feeding a baby food and keep him warmer than usual. Inforum say leave them alone when he's hibernating

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Your basking temps are too low. Right now he needs more heat to recover so bump the temps up. Basking spot around 110°F, cool end about 85°F How long are the lights on? I wouldn't use the night light...a ceramic heat element is much better. But if it's all you got to keep the tank warm at night...continue to use it until you get the ceramic heater. But try to get one asap.
You are correct, you really don't want to disturb brumating animals much. However, you don't want your dragon to brumate right now....so we gotta try to interrupt it until he's better. Also what brand of lights are you using?

Niltimere

Original Poster
Rankins":1ekh3wxo said:
Your basking temps are too low. Right now he needs more heat to recover so bump the temps up. Basking spot around 110°F, cool end about 85°F How long are the lights on? I wouldn't use the night light...a ceramic heat element is much better. But if it's all you got to keep the tank warm at night...continue to use it until you get the ceramic heater. But try to get one asap.
You are correct, you really don't want to disturb brumating animals much. However, you don't want your dragon to brumate right now....so we gotta try to interrupt it until he's better. Also what brand of lights are you using?

We are using "exoterra" 75w night heat lamp. 100w "all living things" basking, and 26w "all living" uv lamp (cool end) we keep offering fresh veggies and fruit I gave him bath and he started trying to get out. But I kept him there, he relaxed and opened his mouth so I dripped some water in there he disapproved. But started deep breathing while in water while mouth open

Niltimere

Original Poster
Niltimere":1x21e1jp said:
Rankins":1x21e1jp said:

We are using "exoterra" 75w night heat lamp. 100w "all living things" basking, and 26w "all living" uv lamp (cool end) we keep offering fresh veggies and fruit I gave him bath and he started trying to get out. But I kept him there, he relaxed and opened his mouth so I dripped some water in there he disapproved. But started deep breathing while in water while mouth open
I'm
Rankins":1x21e1jp said:

We keep the uv and basking on for at least 12hrs a day. The night lamp 12 hours. Like I said we turn the basking on when we get up

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Is you UV light a coil or tube? Taterbug is good with lighting stuff. But I believe most people use a Reptisun 10.0 T-8 UV bulb, I use mercury vapor bulb for basking and a T-8 on the cool end.
Along with keeping the tank warmer you can increase light cycle to 14 hrs or 16 hrs. This way your hitting two birds with one stone. Your keeping him warmer which will help fight infections, and hopefully preventing brumation. However I'm not convinced this is brumation. I'm thinking it's more related to the illness...but it sounds like you are working with your vet to help in this area. Others may chime in with some more suggestions...

Skipper7

Juvie Member
Temps are definently too low as ranksins mentioned. Your little guy also isn't getting enough UVB. It is essential. It also has an effect on appetite.

I reccomend either getting a reptisun T5 or T8 tube. T5 can go on top of screen and must be at least 12 inches from the beardie. T8 has to be mounted UNDER the screen and kept within 6-8 inches of him. Also, the UV lamp should not be on the cool end. The dragon needs to absorb it while he is basking.

Like Rankins also said, you should increase his daylight time.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor little guy, can you post pics of him, and separate ones of his set up ? Here's how:

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then hit XIMG

Along with the good advice about the heat + uvb, don't put him in the water. It stressed him out and can make him worse. Hopefully he'll start doing better. Ask the vet for Carnivore Care supplement rather than the AD diet, that's for dogs/cats and not as nutritious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom