Curved to the side, going in circles, can't walk. HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaskingBaby

Sub-Adult Member
I'm devastated. My big, fat, beautiful healthy Kora is sick. This happened pretty much overnight. Checked on her a minute ago and she was curved to the right side, almost going in circles, can't walk and her head is tilted downward. She is mentally very alert and looks up at me when I talk to her. When I pick her up, she acts as if she's falling and tries to flail her legs. Front legs are not moving at all, back legs are moving awkwardly. I don't think this is an impaction. From what I've read it might be an inner ear infection?

This girl has had 100% best care from hatchling-hood. She came from JDM Dragons and I've had her since she was a baby. She's almost 3 years old. She's a big German Giant girl - 20" and about 500+ grams. Has a Reptisun 10.0 tube, eats roaches and superworms and gobbles down salad.

Please help or give us some prayers :( Reptile vet will be in tomorrow, so if she's not showing an improvement she will be going in.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Probably an ear infection. Or something similar. Baytrl will probably knock it right out. Go to the vets and get some.

BaskingBaby

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
TheWolfmanTom":clmxvh8s said:
Probably an ear infection. Or something similar. Baytrl will probably knock it right out. Go to the vets and get some.

That's what I'm hoping...something easy. One thing that really worries me though is I found her under her basking spot. I'm assuming she was stuck there....she was very hot when I picked her up. I'm hoping she didn't fry her brain. I wasn't here yesterday so she could have been there for a long time. I gave her about 3cc of water with a tiny bit of repta-aid a little while ago. She normally laps up water readily in the bath, but wouldn't open her mouth this time. I really, really hope my big girl is ok :(

Tom - if it is an ear infection, do they give drops to put in the ear, or oral antibiotics? I can get Baytril from my work, but would rather a REAL reptile vet diagnose her first.

BaskingBaby

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
We had a vet appointment this afternoon at 3pm...Dr Wilkinson at Windcrest Animal Hosp was very nice and gentle with Kora. She weighed in at 504 grams which is a little on the light side for her, she's been known to be up to 540 I think at her highest. She's been slowing down a lot on live food which is normal for her during this time of year. All her vital signs were great, clean ears/eyes, good heart, belly felt normal, etc.

He's concerned that it could be some compression on the very top of her brain or spinal cord which could be causing this type of neurological sign. It could still also be as simple as an inner ear infection, but it's hard to say. We didn't really walk away with any answers, but he's willing to help in any way that he can. He gave me a dosage for Baytril that I'm going to get at my work (another vet hosp) and I'm going to start that on Monday. If no improvement, I can bring her back in for him to draw the blood and send it out through my vet so it'll be a lot cheaper. I'm happy he's working with me and trying to help me go through my work instead of pushing for money.

He said he's seen many animals learn to live with a head-tilt just fine....they adjust. I really hope hers goes away..she looks so pathetic. I'm very hopeful though - she ate 3 dubias today which shows she has some appetite.

IMG_0534.jpg

On the way to the vet - she has a nice soft rice sock on top of her :)

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

suzjohnson

Sub-Adult Member
Great sign that she is still eating! Will hope and pray it's as simple as an inner ear infection and curable. Keep us posted, ok? She's such a pretty girl. Is she as sweet as she looks?

Suz

BaskingBaby

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
suzjohnson":3a5f8y96 said:
Great sign that she is still eating! Will hope and pray it's as simple as an inner ear infection and curable. Keep us posted, ok? She's such a pretty girl. Is she as sweet as she looks?

Suz

Thanks Suz, I'll keep everyone updated. She is definitely as sweet as she looks, she's the nicest dragon I've ever had. She's a bearded dragon ambassador - she's been to a few different YMCA classes that my co-worker does to teach kids about reptiles. Even non-reptile people love her.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks for posting the pictures. That gives me a better idea of her situation.
Did the vet mention a possibility of a stroke perhaps or even a heart attack? That is almost what that reminds me of, her head tilt or inability to move very well. It is just another route to go.
She does look very sweet, indeed.
It could be a respiratory issue but normally they don't tend to come on quite that quickly!

I think a blood test would be a good idea though, to rule out any strange infection.

Maybe the Baytril will do some good for her. Keep us posted on her condition.

Tracie

BaskingBaby

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Drache613":1vvexmos said:
Hello,

Thanks for posting the pictures. That gives me a better idea of her situation.
Did the vet mention a possibility of a stroke perhaps or even a heart attack? That is almost what that reminds me of, her head tilt or inability to move very well. It is just another route to go.
She does look very sweet, indeed.
It could be a respiratory issue but normally they don't tend to come on quite that quickly!
I think a blood test would be a good idea though, to rule out any strange infection.
Maybe the Baytril will do some good for her. Keep us posted on her condition.

Tracie

Tracie, the vet did mention the possibility of a stroke, or something compressing the top of her brain/base of spinal cord. He said if that is true, he's seen many animals learn to live with their head tilt. It would kill me to have her like this permanently. I didn't really realize how bad her motor skills are, but she really can't walk. If I place her front hands downward, she doesn't right them. Back legs seem more normal though. He said her lungs were very clear, heart was great. I have her out in the living room seeing if she'll walk or try to move. She's very alert! Watching everything going on and has her bright happy colors on. No stress marks. I'm going to see shortly if she'll eat today for me.

TheWolfmanTom":1vvexmos said:
Start the baytrl today. Trust TheFatMan.

Unfortunately I can't start the Baytril till tomorrow - I'm getting it from work. I'm bringing her with me so I can monitor her throughout the day and give her the first dose nice and early tomorrow. We could do xrays while she's there too, if my vets think it would show anything.

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes...this girl is so special to me and it breaks my heart to see her like this. I hope she pulls through...she's a big strong girl so fingers crossed.

BaskingBaby

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Just a quick update - Kora ate about 10 roaches tonight! She wouldn't touch her salad which is very unlike her, but she gobbled down some huge dubias. I'm very hopeful! She doesn't have any trouble moving her head to eat them. I hand fed her out of a little bowl one by one.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Oh, those pictures are so sad :( Did it just happen overnight?? That's so odd. I hope everything turns out for her, she does look so sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mangomom
Top Bottom