Help! My Beardie swallowed a pice of syringe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

browneyes49

Hatchling Member
I was giving my 2 year old Beardie his monthly worm medication, and he managed to bite the end off of the syringe. I'm sure he swallowed it, as his medication was going down his throat. Should I induce vomitting, if so how? Or will he pass it? It's about the size of the letter "H" on the keyboard. Help ASAP please!

Dragoon

Sub-Adult Member
Hmm...

He bit the end off the syringe... The top part? The thing you push down put into the dragon?

Oh my goodness. But saying it was that big, I don't think it would do anything bad, but you'd better talk to somebody more experienced.

browneyes49

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ya, it was the very tip, he just bit the end off. Weird, he has never tried to bite the syringe, and I've given him his med's many times before. I'm sure he didn't swallow it on purpose, he had no choice because his medication was going down his throat at the time. I feel soo awful for doing that to
him. :cry: I hope he is okay. He had a poop about 10 minutes ago, during his bath, but no sign of the plastic. No blood or anything though, so I'm hoping it passes through.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh dear, that has happened before. The best thing to do is keep him very well hydrated at least for the next few days, you can also massage very gently on the right side from his armpit to vent area, that should help move it along. You can also pick up some canned 100% pumpkin (no other ingredients) and feed him some of that, it has a lot of fiber in it. A drop or 2 of vegetable oil is also another thing that helps make passing it much easier. How is he acting & how is his coloring?

browneyes49

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Actually, he's acting perfectly fine, and his coloring is the same as always. He's basking, mouth open, eyes closed (except for when I walk past the viv and he peeks at me with one eye) :wink: He's not eating a lot, but that's not new, he's always been a picky eater, also he has just come out of brumation. Will butternut squash do the same as canned pumpkin? I have a whole jar of the baby food squash, and I have been giving him that.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Good to hear that he is acting and looking fine.

Squash is good but the pumpkin has more fiber so will help push things along quicker. You could give the baby food squash with a drop or 2 of vegetable oil and see if that helps but having the pumpkin on hand is a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom