allergies? beardie flu? help me out here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bearded dragon has recently been displaying behaviors that concern me.
He sleeps almost constantly (but he has always been lazy, so I don't know how urgent that is)
One of his eyes is actually closed shut tight with "eye boogers"
And as I was giving him an extra bath just now, he started...I don't know how to describe it, "coughing" i guess would be the best way to put it, and mucous came out of his mouth
To deal with the eye problem, i've been giving him warm baths almost every day because it seems like he can open it if its wet, but needless to say he won't let me rub his eye to get it out and it's not draining out on its own.
Also, the mucous coming out of his mouth reminds me of what tends to come out of my mouth when my allergies bother me.
Is it possible that he has a cold or allergy problems or is it something more serious?

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
it sounds like you may have a uv light and humidity problem, but lets go through your set-up before we jump to conclusions....

Try to be as specific as possible so we can get as much info as possible.

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?

x_whispered_scream_x

Original Poster
How old is your dragon? about 2
How long have you had your dragon? about...hm... a little over a year and a half
How long is your dragon? lol i dunno about 22 inches?
What is the sex of your dragon? i think he's a guy, but im not 100% sure
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 5' long 3' wide 3' high
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? newspaper and towels, we had a reptile carpet but it was hard to clean
Do you use UVB lights? yes
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? its a mercury vapor bulb, i can't give the exact name because im doing this from school and i dont remember it
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? 150 watts i think
How old is your UVB bulb? maybe 3 months, i may need a new one
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? no closer than a foot
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? we also have a 60 watt house bulb
What are the basking temps? about 101
What is the cool side temp? about 90
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? a digital thermometer with probe
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? on his log
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? no
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. superworms and waxworms from petsmart, i have tried veggies but he simply refuses to eat them
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? afternoon, once a day
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? no
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? the kind with the blue label and the kind with the pink label, i can't remember the names but they were highly recommended
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? every time he takes a bath
Do you bath your dragon? How often? at least once a week, but more so lately because it seems to help with his eye
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? he has a bowl of water
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? no
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? no, there are no vets nearby to take him to, that's why i was wondering what you guys had to say before i have to take him on a long car ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom