still not eating? on flagyl? let nature takes its course?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chancellor91

Juvie Member
my beardie has been on flagyl because she had runny stinky poo, the doctor said it seemed like amebeols or what ever? its been about 5 days, and she is not eating much at all, maybe a few crix a day, and she normally was putting away 40 to 50 a day

do i just let her pass away, cause the doc wants her on baytril and flagyl which is going to cause renal failure in her little body, she only weights 50 grams, so do i just let her do what she is going to do? she has been plauged ever since i got her, cause the pet store used coil lights GRRR? help me please i have tried everything and am loosing hope

thanks guys
chancellor

Tigg

Juvie Member
Chancellor, Did you try the Soy yogurt that I had reccomended to you in the other thread you started about this??

"Flagyl" (A.K.A. Metronidazole) is a pretty harsh antibiotic, which will wipe out any unwanted parasites, as well as the healthy enzymes and bacteria (Gut Flora) that is needed to properly digest food. This will leave your BD feeling a little weird, and most likely a tummy ache which will obviously decrease his appetite.

As mentioned above, you need to feed a PRObiotic, such as yogurt... Make sure it is SOY yogurt, as reptiles cannot process dairy, and any flavour will do. This will replace the healthy gut flora that the antibiotic has wiped out, and make your beardie feel better again.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Chancellor,

Yes, if you have not gotten any probiotics, you will need to get some because it greatly helps with restoring the natural gut flora of bacteria & enzymes so she can digest her food properly.

Tracie

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
DEFINITELY! Just as when we are on antibiotics it is suggested to eat yogurt to have live cultures (good bacteria) in our system to help us feel better and healthy. Same goes for a beardie.
You'll see definite improvement FAST!

chancellor91

Juvie Member
Original Poster
well i decided to stop all medications, cause doctor wants her on flagly and the baytril and tracie said it was going to cause renal faliure so i stoped it? what do you think she wont eat this monring

is she going to die :cry:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm confused, I didn't see where Tracie said the meds are going to cause renal failure. :? Tracie and everyone else agree that you should give her a probiotic such as soy yogurt to help restore the gut flora which will increase her appetite. So, that's what you NEED to do. Stoneyfield farm makes a good yogurt that you should be able to get in your grocery store. The sooner you start giving it, the sooner she will feel better. She also needs to be kept very well hydrated by frequent bathing and you should offer water, diluted Pedialyte or diluted 100% juice by putting drops on her nose that she will hopefully lick off.

chancellor91

Juvie Member
Original Poster
tracie and i had a AIM convo thats were she said the renal thingy, i started giving her some soy yogurt about a day or two ago, so i guess continue meds? i am confused i got vet appt at 2:30 today so i will let you guys kno what happens

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's good that you have an appt at a different vet. It would be a good idea to take both of those meds with you to show the vet what she has been taking. Good that you've been giving the soy yogurt for a day or so. How long has it been since she's eaten anything?

A vet should not prescribe or give any meds without having proof that it is needed, just wanted to mention that.

chancellor91

Juvie Member
Original Poster
well she ate a total of 5 crix yesterday mind you she was eating about 70 a day

and ya i will bring it all to the vet

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's good that she ate a few anyway. Some beardies won't eat anything at all while on medications that's why it's a good idea to start giving probiotics as soon as the meds are started. Have you tried handfeeding her? Have you given chicken & some type of vegetable babyfood like squash to help give her a boost?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Chancellor,

I did recommend taking her off of the meds. The first fecal did not show up with anything so it was not definitive so I am not positive that Flagyl was even the drug of choice.
She is too small for bloodwork, but no infection was detected but he put her on Baytril which doesn't really add up either.
At 50 grams, dumping too many meds down her throat, especially after she was overheating & dehydrated makes no sense, not to mention having her on 2 drugs that are nephrotoxic.
I think another fecal needs to be done at the least, before continuing the meds. I do not think she needs to be on Baytril.
You do not give a dehydrated reptile too many meds, or the scenario will not turn out good in the end.
Continue giving the soy yogurt & as suggested, give the babyfood as Diane suggested.

Tracie

chancellor91

Juvie Member
Original Poster
ya i got back from doctors, she gave me some critical care, really seemed like she new what she was doing, really great visit at least with vet, um she has MBD for one(mild) i think, and the doctor wanted me to stop all medications for a week so that we can get a bacterial swab and culture, and i am going to bring her a fecal asap tomarrow

also the doc said that soy yogurt is bad, because the good bacteria for mamals, can cause disease for reptiles, so just wanted to put that out there, and this woman knew what she was talking about trust me 1 hour visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom