Still acting funny..

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK so I ordered the Reptisun 10.0..should be here anyday..
Spike is still acting lethargic (at times)..his eyes are closed more often than not. He's eating better (not many veggies though). He's pooping fine...
I don't know what to do. What basking bulb size should I be using for a jeuvenile? My hubby seems to think we have a 100 watt. Is that too much???? Maybe thats bugging him?

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Ldeltoro23":2f59f said:
OK so I ordered the Reptisun 10.0..should be here anyday..
Spike is still acting lethargic (at times)..his eyes are closed more often than not. He's eating better (not many veggies though). He's pooping fine...
I don't know what to do. What basking bulb size should I be using for a jeuvenile? My hubby seems to think we have a 100 watt. Is that too much???? Maybe thats bugging him?

I assume you were using another UVB that caused the eye/lethargy issue? Have you turned that off then? Eating and pooping are signs that he's hanging in there, and if you've had trouble with a previous UVB well then, the break can be very good for their eyes.

As to what wattage bulb, it depends upon tank size, and height of basking surface. What is the size of your tank?

As to placement of your UVB and basking, make sure that it aligns in your tank as follows:

___________tube
0 basking

...so that beardie will have benefit of both bulbs while basking. As your bearding is having eye issues, this is extremely important as the bright white light of the basking bulb will guard his eyes from the UVBs which even with a quality bulb such as the ReptiSun can be harsh.

The best,
Em

Ldeltoro23

Original Poster
Tank is a 15 gallon. The basking spot gives him/her about 8-10 inches from the bulb. Is that too much if its 100 watt? Ohh...also, I went to petco and petsmart...and looked online for the correct temp gage...where can I buy the hanging one or the gun? Thanks again...

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Ldeltoro23":6a9a9 said:
Tank is a 15 gallon. The basking spot gives him/her about 8-10 inches from the bulb. Is that too much if its 100 watt? Ohh...also, I went to petco and petsmart...and looked online for the correct temp gage...where can I buy the hanging one or the gun? Thanks again...

A 100w is too much for a 15 gallon. A 60w should more than suffice (this what I used in our starter tank, also a 15 gallon). You WILL want a "digital thermometer WITH probe." WalMart carries an inexpensive one by "Accurite" for about $12. It also has a built in hygrometer which is convenient. When taking the temp with the probe, place the probe end DIRECTLY on the basking spot, where beardie basks, and LEAVE FOR 45 MINUTES, then read for accurate basking temps. Basking temp should read 105-110 for a juvenile beardie (up to 1 1/2 years). In a small tank, take care to gauge basking temps often as heat is more challenging to control in a smaller tank. Other tank temps should be as follows: ambient 85-90, and cool side 78-80.

The best,
Em

Ldeltoro23

Original Poster
Thanks....will change to 60watt and find that temp gauge with prob. He's doing much better since shutting the uvb. Eyes are open more often..eating better and even eating his/her greens. I'm so happy...thanks agaaaain!!

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Great news about your dragon, glad to see he's feeling better. Do you have a ReptiSun tube on the way then?

Yes, a smaller wattage bulb should do nicely in the 15 gallon, and a digital with probe will help you determine accurate basking temps, which next to UVB, is about the most important thing in the tank.

Let me know how it goes!

The best,
Em

ckrules

Glad he's doing better. I was about to post some advice. :) But I can tell you that 15 gallon is very small. Barely for a baby. I would make it a 20 and pretty soon he gets big..50 or even 75

Ldeltoro23

Original Poster
Spike is doing great. His eyes are always open (since I shut the other uvb). He's eating his greens more than before and doing great. Thank you guys for all your help. I will post some pics soon!! =)

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Ldeltoro23":5a1bf said:
Spike is doing great. His eyes are always open (since I shut the other uvb). He's eating his greens more than before and doing great. Thank you guys for all your help. I will post some pics soon!! =)

Fantastic, look forward to the pics! :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom