Scared my beardie is egg bound

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Re: Scared my beardie is egg bound

Postby lizdragon » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:23 pm

I feel like her beard color is sort of going back and forth all day, unless my eyes are tricking me. This is what it looks like right now. I feel like it looks slightly dark, but not too dark? Idk. Also I'm a little nervous because she didn't want her veggies today, though some days she's just picky. She's getting a bath right now.

Edit: Never mind, she ate veggies after getting out of the bath! Lately she's been eating in the afternoon, whereas she used to like to eat in the mornings. Sorry for all the edits. I know, I'm the worst :lol:
lizdragon
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby lizdragon » Sat May 01, 2021 12:11 pm

So much has happened while writing this post that I’ve had to delete everything and start over multiple times! Anyways, Liz’s beard had been looking okay, maybe slightly dark, and then a few minutes ago my husband called me in a panic to tell me it turned jet black. He was considering taking her to the animal ER, but luckily a few minutes later she did a big poop. He told me her urate, while white, was very hard, almost like a rock. He said her beard went back to normal.

We are really hoping the reason for her dark beard was because she was constipated. We also noticed a few spikes on her beard are shedding. Her temperatures and humidity level have been fine.

Does anyone hsve any advice on how to prevent this constipation in the future? Right now we feed her collard greens and sometimes bok choy every day and then superworms as well every other day. We dust about half of them with calcium dust (with D3), though after she’s laid we might dust most or all of the worms. Usually she gets somewhere from 5-7 worms every other day. Is there anything in her diet we should change? Liz has MBD and has been constipated many times in her life, so we want to know if there’s anything we can do better. Thank you all so much for your help.
lizdragon
Hatchling Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Tue May 04, 2021 4:09 am

I would offer some really hydrating food like squash (cut up into little worm shapes helps get attention) and drip some water on her nose so she can lick it up and get extra hydration. That should help out the most.
CooperDragon

Postby lizdragon » Tue May 04, 2021 8:33 am

Ok, thank you. I do the water thing but I've never given her squash like that before. Should that be something I should give her always or just something for now to help hydrate her after her hard urate?

We got worried because two days later her beard got dark again, but then she did another big poop and it went back to normal. Poor girl must have been very backed up. Luckily with that poop her urate was normal and not hard.
lizdragon
Hatchling Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Tue May 04, 2021 6:17 pm

It kind of depends on if she likes it or not. My guy pretty much only eats squash (loves it). Others may not like it. Worth trying out, but it does make a good, hydrating staple to offer. I cut it up like this:

[Click image to enlarge]
CooperDragon

Postby Drache613 » Wed May 05, 2021 12:30 am

Hello,

How is your girl doing? Is she eating much right now, it sounds like she may have been a
bit dehydrated but definitely isn't impacted!
Her beard isn't black at all? I hope she likes the squash, most tend to like a variety of the
squash. Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie
Drache613

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Previous

Return to Beardie ER