Mesh cage or Glass tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting a dragon on monday and just wondering what are the pros and cons for both a mesh cage and a glass tank? I have a cage already and am going to try it but haven't heard anything good about them. Why would they even sell them? for tropical reptiles?

Project X

Hatchling Member
Mesh cage really wouldn't be very good for a hot desert animal, they are more for tropical animals that need good ventilation, like a chameleon. Although your mesh cage wouldn't be fit for your dragon's main enclosure, it should make a fine outdoor enclosure for your beardie.

The only pros I can think of for a mesh cage would be that they are cheap, otherwise they really don't have any great qualities unless you need lots of ventilation for like I said a chameleon or something.

The biggest con I find with a mesh enclosure for a beardie would be that it would be extremely difficult to keep the appropriate temperatures with. With all that ventilation it provides, heat would just escape the enclosure and possibly just heat up the room its in a bit, but not enough to keep proper temperatures. Another small con would be that you have to buy those plastic bottom pieces that fit in the bottom which are hugely overpriced (I'm sure you could make one for cheap if you wanted) to use a particle substrate like sand. And they also aren't very good display type cases, which isn't a problem really, just something you may not like about it.

The pros of a glass tank are basically the opposite of the cons of a mesh cage, easier to keep heat, can put basically any substrate in it, and it can make a decent display.

Cons of glass tank are really just the cost, but that isn't a problem for a lot of people that are able to find a used one locally for very cheap.

melissawf

Sub-Adult Member
Y'know, this was already addressed in the other thread you posted but I guess you didn't believe me. I told you that not maintaining proper temps will contribute to health and feeding problems with a beardie but it is ESPECIALLY bad for babies since they are more delicate and will go "south" faster from improper care. Buying a 20g is really a waste of money unless you plan on getting more beardies down the road or have other pets who could use the 20g tank. Within a couple of months, you will need something significantly bigger. Like I said, you can get a 40g BREEDER tank for under $100USD. Looking in the paper for a used fish tank, you might find an even better deal but keep in mind the front to back dimensions. A 55g tank is actually more narrow than a 40g breeder if I remember correctly.

Again, sorry to sound snotty here but ya gotta read the responses to your own posts dude!

-Melissa

JoshThibodeau

Original Poster
The temps seem to be fine now and I'll be getting a 55-60 gallon tank within a couple months no big deal. It may be a waste of money but I'll sell it. Plus I had to get the 25 gallon for now I just spent $500 on everything which is a bit for just randomly 4 days ago out of the blue decided to get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom