Welcome Blaze

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
After losing Kadia and wanting another dragon but not in the shape she was in and a heartbreaking one at that I contacted a breeder in St Cloud asking her about a tank before getting Kadia - looking for a 40 gallon and she had none but said she had a bunch of babies for sale - I said I was looking at re homing at that time --- so I got a hold of her again and my daughter and I went and looked at her babies Fri- she has a lot --- I told her I was looking for a Red Leatherback but she didnt have any of those but a Red Translucent- so we went and looked and she wasnt kidding she had a lot of them - different kinds - so we picked out the runt - he was the smallest and getting picked on so we took him - she said he was a male dont know how she can tell but beings shes been looking at butts for so long I guess she can tell - so Blaze is the name after changing it 2 times we decided on Blaze - since hes gonna be more vibrant coloring- and he is part wiblet --- we saw momma and daddy - daddy being the red and momma being the wiblet ----- he is 7 weeks old - eating and pooping and sitting in his water bowl - he is eating well in fact -- I have kept him warmer at nite since he is so small--- this morning he ate 9 small roaches 4 BSFL and greens - in a matter of 4 hrs - I am feeding him greens before bugs --- this morning I ticed him w/ the BSFL in his greens he went for it --- he is skittish at this point and very curious --- his basking temp is around 105 on top of the rock and different temps on the rock - he was gaping when sitting under the 105- is that a good thing? Hes not sitting there for long periods of time and was wondering if I should tone the temp down or leave as is --- ??? Hes got different spots to sit running from 99-109 Here are some pics - for now he is in the 20 long gallon tank - the 4x2x2 will be here this week but for now I am keeping him in the 20- its easier to care for him and he is really tiny -- I am gonna set the tank up similar to Hiccups - I have another Zoo Med coming T 5 24" and already have the Arcadia 14% bulb here -- basking bulb the same 150 watt and another heat emitter for winter --- I have tile too that will go into the tank -- right now he is in the 20 gallon w/ part tile and I have put a dish towel on the hot side to cover the glass - its easier to pull and wash than the piece of carpet - and since he pooped on his rock / cave this morning that was a breeze to clean up w/ the vinegar/ water --- he is shedding right now so its hard to see the coloring but you can see it on his tail --- so we will see how this goes --- hes got some relocation stress marks going but it hasnt slowed him down from eating --- today is Sunday and he really ate --
97951-40305239.jpg
97951-7323218365.jpg
97951-3931282698.jpg
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Blaze is a cutey!
Im happy you were able to get another one karrie.

The gaping is normal and perfectly ok :)

Who was the breeder? Or is she just a local?

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
She is just a local and went to school for Biology at SCSU graduated w/ a Bachelors -- had opened a shop in St Cloud called Fins and Friends and ended up getting screwed over by 2 people she had brought in -- dont know the full story but she is a reptile nut -- :D -- she has her house full of fish turtles geckos bearded dragons etc............ she closed in May and had the only Gentle Giant Dragon I have ever seen -- Nova she was huge ---- well she quit eating and she gave her to the girl her co partner and for some reason they dont know why Nova died -- she was 4 -- we were bummed when we went to see the babies as we first saw her way back when when she had her in the store --- I can get a hold of her at anytime and she said she wanted updates on the little dude so we will keep in touch -
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Very exciting ! He looks good Karrie, and it's actually better to start the off in a 20 gallon if they're really small. He doesn't look TOO small, about 7-8 " maybe ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I think so I actually havent weighed him or measured him -- he is eating like a champ including his vegies -- I feed those first w/ a few nutri grubs on top so he goes right for it - then about an hour or so later I feed him his dubias -- he ate around 8 yesterday and today he ate 11 -- tried feeding again this afternoon and all he did was sit on top of his log and watch from above-- I think he was too full from this morning -- I asked the breeder the feeding schedule and she told me vegies first before bugs--- she said she put a few small super worms on the salad and that gets them to eat the vegies -- I didnt have supers so I used BSFL-- he ate 4 yesterday and today he ate 2 then the vegies --- so I am happy- he just shedded all the top off his back today -- and hes pooping every morning -- so the relocation stress doesnt seem to bother him to bad --- he is skittish tho - but in time that will disappear--- I think Hiccup is starting brumation --- hes been sleeping for the past 2 days - I ve got a weight on him now and I am going to pull him and give him a bath --- I dont want him dehydrated --- he had a good poop on the 11th and it was huge and lots of white urate w/ a little water --- he weighs 470 grams by my digital kitchen scale --- I am thinking that is good weight to be going into brumation in-????
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sounds like a good routine with Blaze already, he's off to a good start ! Hiccup is definitely a good weight for brumation, nice + hefty as long as he's healthy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom