Our new spikey scale babies Cleo & Caesar

If you just got a new beardie, introduce your beardie to the community! If you're a newcomer, say hello and introduce yourself.

Re: Our new spikey scale babies Cleo & Caesar

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:18 am

The shed was started on Thursday , got the superstructure up on the day.
By lunchtime.
By 4pm they were done for the day.

Back on Monday to put the roof puriles up and most of the roof on.

Lunchtime.
near end of day roof was on.

Back today to brace the it.

Nearly done. Only needs the eastern and southern clear plastic weather walls installed , this is scheduled to happen on Monday. That will finish the carport.

Back
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Fluffy - 4yr rescued lawnmowing accident victim 14Nov17.
Lucky - cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
Wriggles - rescued injured ,thought she was a big lizard, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16. .
Gecko : Godzilla the hatchling GEHYRA GECKO (hatched May 2019)
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:34 am

Redesigned my beds

and will be adding something like this to the 6m long bed
designed it today , this is my generalized design for the 6m long diagonal treated pine lattice privacy screen

Hired a one-man operated 4 stroke hydraulic posthole digger with a 300mm auger for the day to accelerate the digging of the 20 easiest postholes. All done in one day …. if the worker had to dig these all manually it would have taken about 4 days. So the cost of the hire was worth it.
He's back tomorrow to dig the hard postholes for my problem area's 3 level raised bed , no choice as he can't use the posthole digging machine so close to the concrete slabs , driveway and old garden path, should take him a day to dig most the holes.
I'm hoping the worker can get the timber sleeper all in on Saturday and start filling the beds on the day.

Scheduling delivery of 6 bulkabags of premium garden soil on Friday to top dress about 6" deep with the good stuff & the hire of mini-loader DingoDigger , will have the machine until Monday morning , this will make it a LOT easier and faster for my worker to shift the bulkabags from my green strip to my backyard and to dig up most the loose fill that's all over my back yard.
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
Wriggles - rescued injured ,thought she was a big lizard, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16. .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby CooperDragon » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:09 am

Lizards are going to LOVE climbing that lattice.
CooperDragon

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:37 am

Yep , but I don't want them to get through it or over it as the I'd never be able to get over the fence to recover them and the people behind my place have a couple of big not so friendly dogs.

This is my design :

Might go with 150x50mm treated pine sleepers on the top instead of the 100x50mm treated pine.

The way I'll be fixing the lattice is like the is :
Image.

The postholed digger went back today, they didn't come to collect til 1pm so my worker managed to dig a few more holes that didn't get done yesterday.
Posts for the 6m x 1.5m and 2 of the 3m x 1.5m beds are in concrete now. Back on Friday to the rest ( the old fashioned way ) , need at least 2 days for the concrete to cure .
Today was a critical point in the landscaping project to ensure the posts will be "safe" to load the posts up with sleepers and then with the outwards forces from loose soil on Saturday.
Therefore I've postponed the delivery of the DingoDigger for 1 week as I don't want to incur another day's equipment hire with the plant sitting idle for 2 days.

And dealing with nasty 60cm drop left by the excavator

I've estimated that there are 18 cu m of excavated soil fill to move (into the beds) and I'll need 7 bulkabags of premium garden soil. 4 days of manual shoveling and moving by the barrow full …. makes no sence if most the work can be done in under a day with a mini-loader machine.
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:06 am

Caesar has rediscovered crickets .

I now mixing them up , crickets and BSFL some days, crickets and silkworms (large for Caesar , medium for Cleo) some days , BSFL and silkworms other days , and crickets and silkworms the other days.

They should never get bored with getting same insects every day.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:00 pm

Bed layout , will likely put cement pavers between the beds and around them , and will later add a rock (gabien) wall made from repurposed lifted old concrete driveway when I do the revamp of the old driveway (rather than sending the concrete to the recyclers and paying for the privilege).

Cementing lots of corner posts in the ground in those holes dug by machine

Turns out the 4 beds are 5cm higher for each bed successive bed as you walk uphill.
Turns out the 6m long bed is 5cm from my garage's N wall. Discovered a huge boulder or bedrock at the N end of this bed so had to move it south a bit to work around this piece of hard rock.
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby CooperDragon » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:06 am

That's a good idea to repurpose the cement rather than trashing it.
CooperDragon

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:36 am

CooperDragon wrote:That's a good idea to repurpose the cement rather than trashing it.

The concreter says the old non-reinforced strip driveway will be easy to break up into liftable bits , all that'll be needed will be a sledge hammer , a couple of good whacks and it'll break.
I don't fancy paying $650 per tonne to send it to the crushing plant for recycling by the council and the use as road base (free resource to them).
Saves me from needing to buy more timber sleepers and metal posts and concrete or retaining wall cement blocks to make the area that's been built up with loose fill along my north boundary fence by the ***** who excavated it.

What's a productive garden without a composting bin ?
Spent the evening designing a nice composting bin to include in my yard landscaping. Here's what I designed for my backyard micro-farm

No landscaping work for a week now , rain's on it's way again. So I'll have to let the ground dry before I get the handyman back to finish building the 6mx1.5m and three 3mx1.5m beds ( only needs to install the sleepers and then move some of the loose fill into them allowing space to put about 200 cm depth of premium garded soil on top.
Back on the 5th August weather permitting.

The builders are back on this Monday to finish the carport.

Sparky here on Tuesday to upgrade/modernise my 50 year fuse box to safety ground leakage and circuit breakers in leu of the ancient copper wired fuses.

Dell is here to upgrade my Alienware 17R4 battery from 4C 66Whr to 6C 99Whr on Wednesday.

Starting design work for my roll on roll off roof observatory.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Previous

Return to Introductions