New Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirlmt

Hey All :D

Just got my first Beardie (Dave) a couple of days ago, he is apparently 11-12 weeks old. I did plenty of reading up before hand but it wasn't until I got him home that I realised that I'd only touched the tip of the iceberg :lol:

This is his current 3 foot enclosure..

101096-6106179831.jpg

The set-up was supplied by the shop. First things first the sand substrate will be going before the weekend is out, I have some ply and slate tiles and will be making him an easily cleaned floor to roam on. I'd read up on the dangers of sand before purchasing but the guy in the shop repeatedly informed me that sand was fine 'as it's what they have in Australia' - obviously I now know otherwise, hopefully it'll be fine for a few more days seeing as its what they had him on in the shop.

Secondly my lighting will be worked on.. The current setup and positioning was set before I was fully clued up. Reptisun Mini Compact on one side of the viv, basking light with cage & a halogen light on the 'hot side'. Well aware now that the UVB must be the same side of the viv as the basking light so have ordered a T5 controller, reflector & Arcadia D3 T5 24w bulb. The Mini Compact will be going totally but couple of questions..

- ok to put a regular bulb where the current mini compact is just for aesthetic lighting or would it be better for Dave to have nothing this side?

- strip light is 22" so is approx 3/4 of the vivs length, planning to fit this behind the heat cage in the picture as far to the right as possible unless anyone can see any problems with this? Hopefully the distances will be okay.

Final current issue is the temperature.. it's currently 47c (via probe) at the basking point which is a little too much I believe? I have a 75w bulb so guessing if I whack a 60w in this should help? I'm not sure on the cold side temperatures, IR Temp Monitor coming tomorrow so I can work on this...

Aside that the little fella is eating albeit quite little at the minute maybe a few locusts per sitting, but guess he is still adjusting to his surroundings. He loves coming out of his viv to see me and is pretty active.

Couple of pictures...

101096-2423936897.jpg
101096-4229497085.jpg

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Aww, he's a cute little bugger! Sounds like you have some good ideas for upgrading your setup. That place is a palace compared to what I have my 1 y.o. in right now, so I think I need to step up my game!

sirlmt

Original Poster
Thank you!

Overhauled my viv now and it's much more homely for him, and safe.

101096-2776720315.jpg
101096-5022803331.jpg

Just need to cut the ventilation holes through the background this evening and he is all set :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom