Starting the process

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulaO

I'm starting the process to get my first reptile.

I research things to death almost. I read about the BSFL so researched them and will be rolling my own (even if I don't get a bearded). A friend of mine has chickens and said she will take any surplus so bonus.

Funny thing is I was starting the research when I got a call from my nephew announcing he'd just brought one home. We laughed and wondered if it were genetic. He does not do research though his brother does so I won't be rescuing his bearded dragon in a few months.

I considered frogs. You can't handle them due to delicate skin so they're moving art you have to feed.
Considered spotted leopard but I want something not delicate and they look delicate.
Considered a Uromastyx (bugs vs greens) and, to be honest, I keep going back to look at them online and to do research.
Considered a blue tongue skink but they look like snakes with legs.
Considered a water dragon. Briefly. Far too much for this beginner.

I have a cracked 300 gallon* fish tank on my front porch. I need to get the measurements of it. The crack is not felt and barely seen but it won't hold water. We stumbled and twisted it getting it out of the truck. No way it would harm any critter in it except fish since they'd have no water. I need to make room for it, clean it, check the seals, build a stand, etc. I have an empty 55gal but we'll be moving the other fish into it because it is on a nicer stand. The 35gal I may use for the bearded dragon if I can't help myself and get it before I have the bigger tank ready.

Reckon that's enough for now.

*Just measured the tank. It is actually 162ish gallons.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad you are doing research ahead of time. I commented in your other thread about the tank a little while ago. My best general advice is to invest in high quality lighting. A good T5 UVB light makes a huge difference and is well worth it. Please let us know if you have any other questions about specifics and we'll be happy to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom