The New Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings fellow Dragon lovers!
I recently purchased my first dragon back in april.
Using the flashlight method I believe it is a girl. I have given it a gender neutral name (Fluffy) until I am sure of its sex. it is 4 1/2 months old. It loves to run around and eat black soldier flies. It is on a diet of BSF larvae and a couple of crickets. She/It loves to climb her Eiffel tower and be Godzilla.
Anyone have any tips for the newbie? I would love to hear them!
100863-4207204701.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! She looks nice and healthy based on that photo. If you'd like to provide details about her setup and lighting etc I'd be glad to review it to make sure everything is just right for her.

DracoCareGiver

Original Poster
OK, I purchased a starter kit and fully regret it. the only thing I am using out of it is the 40 gallon tank and the twin dome.
Lighting: until recently I had a compact uvb light and a 100 watt Repti Basking Spot Lamp.
I recently purchased a Zoo Med T5 HO Reptisun Terrarium Hood and I am using a Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 T5-Ho Uvb 24W Fluorescent Lamp, 22" due to the negative effects compact bulbs might effect the beardies eyes.
Temp: on hot side is roguhly around a 100 degrees F and the cool side is only 86 degrees F.
Substrate is repti carpet (12 gallon bag of sand came with kit but I know that that can hurt dragons so I will avoid using that.)
2 hides
1 Eiffel tower
1 hammock
1 log
6 rocks to absorb heat for digestion
1 food bowl
humidity is a little dry about 15% I have a dehumidifier since earlier this summer humidity was at 50% I turned it off but it is not rising.
Here is some pics.
100863-6006267136.jpg
100863-4560805103.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad you have ditched most of the starter kit. That T5 is a huge upgrade and should serve you well for at least a year before needing bulb replacement. 100 is a good basking surface temp. 86 is a bit high for the cool end so I'd keep an eye on that. You don't want to decrease the basking surface temps but maybe increase shade on the cool side to try and get that down a few more degrees if you can.

DracoCareGiver

Original Poster
OK will do. I was looking for a plant fixture or something like it. do you have any suggestions on where I could find something like that for cheap?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Habba huts work well and aren't too expensive. You can also try to find some flat branches or pieces of driftwood outside. Rinse them off well and get rid of dirt, then bake then in the oven on low (about 250f or so) for about 30-45 minutes to sanitize them.

DracoCareGiver

Original Poster
I will be on the look out for some.
If any other new owners are interested do not buy this kit: https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwityoKHo-vcAhUOjmkKHaPvBSwYABASGgJpcQ&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESEOD2CiDK4O-HQTYQod88oMY&sig=AOD64_1m3m7rFpvxPZVIo2inghYcL0W_mA&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwi_6_qGo-vcAhWlna0KHVaRBrYQ9aACCEI&adurl=
I did and the only things I ended up using are the 40 gallon tank, the bowl, and the dome.
The cage screen riped when one of my sisters cat's got on the tank and scared the crap out of fluffy. after a little water boarding session that cat never comes in my room again. I now have a impenetrable metal screen that cant rip.
Over all I want my money back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom