I just got a baby beardie and i need advice please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

isa489

Hi! i just got my new baby beardie yesterday and i need some advice. So i’m feeding her 6-7 crickets in the morning,a salad midday and 6-7 crickets at night. Is this fine? and for heat im using the repti basking spot lamp 75w
and for uvb i’m using the reptisun 10 uvb 13 watt. is this also fine? she is in a 20 gallon since she is a baby. I know I just got her yesterday but she is pretty skittish, everytime i go near her or make any sudden moves she freaks out a little. is this a normal thing? i’m sorry i’m asking so many questions, i just want to make sure i give her a good long life. last question when should i start taming her? like i know beardies are supposed to get baths and i think she is going into shed but since i just got her i don’t want her to be stressed by me giving her a bath. okay this is the last question i promise? how should i give her water she has a water bowl but she hasn’t been very interested in it. thank you!!!

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. It sounds like you are using a coil or compact for uvb. You want a reptisun 10.0 t5. Also how are you taking the temps? I don't give my baths unless they stink. I use a dropper to give them water.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
You want to offer variety. Also she can become impacted by the superworms. As for temps you need a temp gun or a digital thermometer with a wire probe and you need to know the temps on the basking spot. Also get rid of that uvb you're using. Those don't put off enough uvb. They also cause appetite, lethargy and she problems. You need a reptisun 10.0 t5 long tube. Those can be put on top of the screen and your beardie will get more uvb than with the coil or compact bulb you have.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I elaborated on this in your other thread but the UVB fixture/bulb I linked will sit flat on the top of the tank. It's a T5 as recommended and will be a huge upgrade over the 13w you have now (which is dangerously low output). I also advised moving to the 40g which will provide more space and will better suit the new UVB light. Using digital thermometers with probes sitting on the basking surface and on the cool side surface as suggested (or spot checking with an IR temp gun) is also the proper way to check temps to adjust heat lighting as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom