New to this site and need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salmon26

Hi everyone. I just got a bearded dragon! He is 3 months old I believe he's 10 inch and amazing! I'm in need of some advice. He has a good basking light after tons of research he's in a 50 gallon tank. He's very happy and healthy but he won't be healthy long unless I understand what uvb light to get him....
I was going to buy the reptisun 10 compact coil because everyone recommends that brand but I have read a lot about them blinding so switch to the linear. But I have no idea how to hang up a linear light and wouldn't the longer one hurt his eyes the same? I'm really sorry if this is a dumb question I just want to make sure I do right by my baby. I also couldn't figure out the difference between t5 and t8. I will take any advice that anyone has!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! In a tank that size I definitely recommend using a T5. A 24'' fixture (with 22'' bulb) is usually the best option for most situations. The T5 is stronger than the T8 (and newer technology). I highly recommend this one http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/ It should sit about 12'' above the basking area for best results. If you can post photos of your current setup I can try and help figure out the best way to set it up. It can often go right on top though. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

Salmon26

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the fast reply!! So helpful! And I'll add pics but please don't judge I tried making everything myself but it didn't turn out pretty but he is happy! If you seen anything I should change please let me know as well. I will take advice as helpful not hurtful.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I won't judge :D I'm here to help and will give any recommendations I can to help you make everything as good as possible for your buddy.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Once they are uploaded you can add them to your post when you press the XIMG button when you reply. It will put a code into the response that will display the pictures for you.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks great! How far is it from the top of the tank to that basking platform? That's the distance I'd use to measure the best fit for a UVB light. What are the surface temperatures at the top of the platform and down on the bottom near his food dish? I would keep track of those surfaces and adjust your basking light accordingly. You want the top of the platform to be between about 100-110 somewhere. There should be a nice gradient down to the far side at around 75-85 or so.

Salmon26

Original Poster
Thank you! The original home I built for him looked amazing but I was unaware that treated wood from Lowe's could kill him so I quickly trashed it and made this with pic and carpet. He is 7 1/2 inch from the basking light. Basking side is 104 cool side is 72 just because our house is quit cold the past three days.

QuinnF

Hatchling Member
T5 bulbs are basically smaller then T8. Both Arcadia and reptisun are good I believe. Don’t worry I don’t know much about lighting either.

Salmon26

Original Poster
It's nice knowing I'm not the only one! Thanks for clearing up the size difference! I hope you have a happy healthy beardie as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom