New and Confused beardie owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

lijaan

Hi, I just joined the forum today and on Saturday I rescued a 4-year-old Male Beardie! Well, my kids did but knowing I work at an animal sanctuary they knew that I wouldn't turn him away. Anyway, his name is Dexter and he seems a very friendly chap. We have all taken to him, he is just so cute. I have never wanted a Beardie or any kind of reptile but I am so pleased we have him now he is such a character. Any way I have been trying to read up as much as possible about Beardie's so that we can look after him properly. Can anyone advise me if I am feeding him enough? I give him salad such as Kale and cucumber etc on a morning and night he eats the Kale but leaves the rest, he also loves Basil. I give his 3/4 mealworms and 3 crickets and 2 hoppers every day. I think the people who we rescued him from just fed him mealworms. I don't want to overfeed him but he does seem hungry. Also, this morning when I got up I went to see him and he looked asleep, anyway he was way too still so I gave him a little stroke and a gentle poke and he didn't wake up, anyway I thought he was dead. I took him upstairs and got in bed with him on my chest to warm him up, I was worried he was too cold, did that for about 30 mins, he never moved. Eventually brought him back to his vivarium, when I put him back in he opened his eyes, I offered him food and he seemed starving and for the rest of the day, he has been great. What on earth could have been wrong with him?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! It can be difficult to get a 4 year old to change habits and get into a healthy routine and diet so be patient with him. Kale is good to offer him as is rocket and bok choy. Cucumber isn't all that nutritious but will provide some hydration. I prefer offering different kinds of squash. Chopped green beans, things like that are good. You'll find what his favorites are after a while. There are some good ideas of what to offer on this list http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html but the key is to offer as much variety as you can.

As an adult he should only be on 1 or 2 bug meals per week while focusing on salads as his main food. That said, the focus at the moment should be getting him healthy. What is his current weight? It's important to track that to get an idea of his overall health. If you can post some photos of him, it would be helpful. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

What do you have in place for his lighting? It's possible he got too cold overnight. You want to keep the temps in his enclosure above about 18C. 20-23C is a good range overnight. It also helps to set a routine by putting the lighting on a timer. You can set the lights to come on before you wake up so he's warmed up and ready for breakfast when you get up. The routine mostly depends on what fits best in your schedule though. What kind of UVB light do you have for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom