New! Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangy505

Original Poster
Why do you have to cut up the salad really small? In the wild there is no tiny salad.. I'm just wondering. I mean they have teeth..

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
I get the logic. The reason we cut up their salads a certain way, avoid certain substrates, and try to be vigilant about supplements is essentially to eliminate Darwinism. In the wild greens don’t come in easily chewable little pieces, just like every bug a wild beardie encounters isn’t smaller than the width of his throat. And a percentage of wild beardies will die from choking on a too large insect or a piece of plant too tough and large to chew properly or ingest a substrate that causes a fatal impaction. So as pet owners we strive to eliminate the Darwinism factor (it’s a pain but worth it). I like to rinse and dry my beardie’s greens on Sunday, chop them up, and put them in produce saving containers that extend the life of the greens. Then all week I can just grab the precut greens from the containers, put them in my little beardie bowls, and add some precut veggies like butternut squash for variety. It takes 30 seconds, whereas before I used to chop greens daily (not super fun). I’ll squirt the salad with a misting of water to keep it fresh all day and up the hydration factor, and that’s my easy greens routine. Beardies are pretty good about chewing their food as long as you aren’t giving them humongous pieces of greens. But I highly recommend doing the Sunday greens prep to make things easier. That way you’re not cursing your lizard every day as you meticulously craft his salad. ☺️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom