New beardie owner :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm a new bearded dragon owner and I've only had my baby for 2 weeks, but I think she's doing just fine. She has been pooping regularly (once a day) ever since i got her (I still don't know if it's a male or a female but i decided that referring to "her" as a female is easier than saying he/she all the time, plus I don't like calling her an "it" because she's a living being and she's part of my family now.). I don't know how old she is, but I assume she is about 1-2 months old and she has already started her first shed and I've been giving her a shower per day or every 2 days depending on my schedule. She has also been eating regularly about, 6-8 mealworms per day, but she hasn't eaten in 2 days, I just assumed that it's because she's shedding, but now I'm starting to get worried, should I be ?

Btw this is Gucci
95994-9303761627.jpg

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. She probably has relocation stress. Also mealworms are not good for them an can cause impaction. Silk worms, Phoenix worms, crickets and dubia roaches are way better. Make sure the feeders are no bigger than the space between her eyes.

maggie2311

Original Poster
destiny1998":hx1a9ycs said:
Hi. She probably has relocation stress. Also mealworms are not good for them an can cause impaction. Silk worms, Phoenix worms, crickets and dubia roaches are way better. Make sure the feeders are no bigger than the space between her eyes.
It's such a relief for me to read that, thanks for the advice :D

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Maggie, your new baby is a cutie. :) Can you post pics of the entire set up + list the exact type/brand of lights you have ? Best to get rid of the wood chips, babies can get impacted very easily by accidentally swallowing loose substrate. It's better to put non adhesive shelf liner on the floor.

maggie2311

Original Poster
AHBD":532si9j9 said:
Hi Maggie, your new baby is a cutie. :) Can you post pics of the entire set up + list the exact type/brand of lights you have ? Best to get rid of the wood chips, babies can get impacted very easily by accidentally swallowing loose substrate. It's better to put non adhesive shelf liner on the floor.
Yes, I found out about the danger that the substrate poses, a week ago and I changed it on the spot.
Here's my set up:
95994-2911613747.jpg
And here's the lamp I use:
95994-3606666247.jpg
Btw she ate today so the shedding was probably the reason she wasn't eating.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's better, and I see you have a nice basking log in there , much better than a hammock which can snag the nails.

What type of uvb bulb do you have ? Is it a coil, compact or long tube ? If you're not sure of the wattage + type, take pics of it as well. Also, you might want to pull the heat bulb up away from where he can jump up + hang on it.....beardies like to jump on anything in reach and don't always feel if they are getting burned.

maggie2311

Original Poster
I was told at the pet shop that this light bulb was also a uvb bulb even though it doesn't mention it on the box, I decided to listen to the "professionals" who work there. The heat bulb is usually way higher where Gucci can't reach it, I fixed it right after I took the photo.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
That is not a UVB bulb and, don't get suckered into the coil compacts that screw into a fixture. They cause eye irritation, eye infections and blindness.

The only ones I recommend (especially in a viv that tall) are the Arcadia 12%D3 or the Reptisun 10.0 t5ho at least 1/2 the length of the viv.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom