New Beardie Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneCat

Hello I just rescued a 4 yr old beardie. When I went to get it the previous owner said they would have lights tank food and calcium powder but when i got there to check it out he had a household lightbulb in the lamp and a huge tub of iceburg lettuce in the tank with the beardie. Also they had sand as the floors substrate which im personally against. The beardie appeared physically ok but when i picked it up to see if it was friendly he was completly still and very lethargic so i instantly got it so i could nurse it back to good health. I was told it was a male but its actually a female but i already had named her Zeus so now its Ms Zeus lol. Anyway fast forward a week to today and now Ms Zeus is set up in a new 30 gal tank with a basking bulb and uvb bulb. I ditched the sand and replaced it with green reptile carpet and also got an awesome basking branch that doubles as her hiding/sleeping spot and she literally never leaves the branch whether shes basking or hanging out or climbing around. Shes gained some weight since ive had her and definetly has a much better diet. I give her crickets 3x a week 60 total with calcium dustings once a week and a daily salad consisting of turnip greens, carrots, bell pepper and occasionally some mango or watermelon. She absolutly loves mealworms also but i keep it to a max of 5 a week. Although i feel i already feed her a little to much she is always searching for food once the foods gone so idk if i should feed her more or not. Also it seems as if she would rather have more insects then salad. Ive hand fed her veggies and worms a few times and ever since the first time I did it weve bonded really well.( my wifes upset because Zeus loves me more then her lol). But anyway Ive bathed her 3x this week because she keeps dragging herself through her poop which brings me to the issue at hand. She has made a 100 percent turn around in this first week BUT she has very watery foul stool. Its like a pile of mush and when i say watery i mean she literally has a puddle around her poo. I believe she may have parasites but I wanted to give her a week to adjust to her new diet before making conclusions. I know stress, inadequate diet, and overhydration could cause diahrea also but im still making an appointment with a vet for Zeus on Monday. In the meanwhile is there anything I can do to help ease her stomach?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it sounds like Zeus has found a good home with your family. :) You're doing a great job with her, made lots of good changes for her health. It may be partly because of the extreme diet change, it may tone down after a few weeks but some people do use probiotics, even non dairy fruit flavored soy yogurt in very small amounts. Other than that a fecal test can help determine if there's a heavy parasite load. If it's not a heavy load you might even forsake any treatment because the meds. can sometimes ruin the appetite and knock out the good progress that you've made.

ToneCat

Original Poster
95390-8788473853.jpg
95390-6960593331.jpg
Heres a pic of her. Unfortunately her diahrea has worsened and now its accompenied with constipation. The last time she pooed was today. i seen her belly contracting and her tense so i made a warm bath and massaged her belly and she took the biggest poo ever and it was mostly liquid Ever since then shes really been attached to me. But anyway ive made a vet appointment for tommorow. But as you can see shes in good health. Shes about 18 inches long maybe bigger even and she is pretty heavy with a decent little gut ? Also as you can see she loves cuddling up on me and my fiance so shes still in good spirits and she love exploring. Unfortunately everytime she gets to run around is when she gets her diahrea but right afterwards shes back to normal everytime. Keeping my fingers crossed shes ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom