Introductions & Newbie Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savora

Hatchling Member
Hello! I've had my beardie for a few months now, her name is Cactus. I got her from a not-very-responsible owner, so she was a little skinny and she had some bad shed when I first got her. Now, though, she's a pretty princess, and I even sometimes wonder if she's a little too robust!
She's also grown a few inches since we first got her. I'm not really sure her age, but I'm gonna guess one year, maybe a little less.
This is her sitting on my leg a few minutes ago
93177-3697981802.jpg
She was pretty scared at the beginning, but always a sweetheart. She's only tried to bite me like..twice, lol. But now she even likes being let out to roam.
Now, I only have three newbie questions: I'm currently using a ReptiSun 10.0 T8 (I know, I should've gotten the T5, but I didn't know at the time) that spans almost across her entire forty gallon tank, fixated into a reflector hood. Is it okay to use it on top of a mesh screen? I've been reading more around this website, and seen that some people have been saying that a mesh blocks out UVB--but that a reflector hood makes up for it. The closest she can get to the bulb is six inches from it, and her terrarium floor is sixteen inches from it.
Also, I read here that carrots are too high in vitamin A for beardies. But isn't their powder vitamin supplement mostly vitamin A anyways? (This is sorta a dumb question. I just eat a lot of carrots myself and therefore usually have them on hand to include them in her salad.)
Last question: her last two poops have been more watery and soft than usual. Still formed, but just much squishier. Is that concerning, and what are the common causes of it? Parasites?
Thanks for this website, by the way! This has been the best resource since I've gotten Cactus, and is the reason why I know that her being on sand substrate and having a coil UVB was so bad for her before I got her.

Hi Savora, welcome! Cactus is so cute!

To my understanding, the reflector will help the UVB penetrate the mesh. You should be okay there, but I'm less certain about the T5/T8 question. I think it's okay, but I'd wait for a third opinion to be sure! :)

Reptiles convert beta carotene (from food such as carrots) into Vitamin A. If they don't need it, they will excrete it. The Vitamin A in supplement powder is absorbed regardless, though, so it's possible to overdose. Your lizard friend can eat carrots - but if you already use a supplement, I'd suggest only offering a small amount of Vitamin A-rich foods as a rare treat :)

As for the poops, more liquid in the food Cactus eats can result in softer stools. Don't worry too much, but do keep an eye on her. Weight loss, diarrhoea, and reddish poops are other potential signs of parasites. If there's a reptile vet near you, perhaps take a fecal sample for analysis to ease your mind.

I wish you a happy life with your beardie!

Savora

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the reply!

I think that, to be on the safe side, I'm gonna try to rig up a system that holds her reflector hood inside her cage. How do you have your UVB lights set up?

And thanks for the info about vitamin A and parasites. I don't really know where she'd get parasites from, as I only give her washed veggies from the grocery store and I give her Phoenix worms. But I'll definitely keep an eye out.

Savora":3801067w said:
I'm gonna try to rig up a system that holds her reflector hood inside her cage. How do you have your UVB lights set up?

I don't use reflectors, but you might need one for your T8 bulb. Someone more knowledgeable will have to confirm!

My UV bulbs are mounted to the (wooden) roof of the vivarium, held in place by plastic tube light clips. The clips were built into the viv, and they hold the bulbs directly. They're something like this, but be sure to double-check the size if you pick them up!

My UVB bulb is a Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB 24in (18W), mounted at the rear of the tank. Because it's shorter than the tank, it hangs closer to the basking spot than the cool end of the tank. I used to use an Exo Terra bulb, but recently learned that that brand's UVB bulbs can cause health issues in beardies.

My UVA bulb is an Exo Terra Repti Glo 2.0 Tube 30in (25W), mounted at the front of the tank.

Both bulbs are connected to an Exo Terra Light Unit Controller, which is basically a timer. Bandit gets twelve hours of light and twelve hours of dark :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom