Hello from Mexico!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanyVRO

Hey guys,

Just wanted to introduce myself and my beardie. I'm going to tell you a little bit about myself and my experience with reptiles.

I'm 26 years old my name is Daniel and I've loved reptiles since the first time I saw a red eared slider turtle and I actually still have that turtle until now (he's 18 years old btw). Anyways after that first turtle that my father got me just because it was cute, he said well let's have a friend for that turtle so i got another one, then I bought 4 more and I immediately started doing research with my older brother in forums to know more about taking care of turtles and stuff. We started to learn about UVA, UVB and all that, water temp and pretty much a general idea of taking care of reptiles. After that I rescued a green iguana from my highschool's chemistry/physics lab (long story short, she was going to be examined on our class and then stay in a 10 gallon tank for who knows how long on plain soil and eating worms), and she's also with us still, her name is Rexie and she's 15 years old.

Anyways like you were able to read from the description I live in Mexico so even though I know that special bulbs for UVA (not really since u can use a regular bulb too....it wont last that long though) and UVB I've always had access to natural sunlight all year round......."did you just say all year round????, that's impossible"....well let me paint the picture for you here, the city that I live in has the nickname of "The city of eternal spring" sooo, yeah our lowest temperature here is maybe 60, to 62°F, and our highest and current temperature is from 86 to 96°F so it gets pretty hot which makes it perfect for reptiles and that includes bearded dragons, but what I meant by all of this is that I don't really use any bulbs really precisely because of the hot weather around here almost all houses have either a big terrace or a big yard with a pool, and in apartments you always have like a terrace too or a deck of some sort, for example my green iguana owns our terrace, she lives there and comes inside when it's getting darker outside, for my bearded dragon I have him on my room right next to my window where he can get natural sunlight and when the sun starts to move I get him out on a separate outdoor space that I have here, btw I didn't mean like the sun going through the window cause I know that UVB doesn't go through glass. And don't get me wrong I do have a UVB bulb just in case the weather is crappy on a certain day. So just wanted to say that I'm not really new to reptiles i guess.

Anyways I think I have talked or more like typed a lot and haven't really talked about my beardie, well here it goes. He's a male I think I don't know how old (I think a couple of months), I just got him 2 weeks ago at a reptile expo here he was already wormed and really healthy looking. The only problem that I've had with him is that I think he's still scared of me watching him while he's at his enclosure because if I'm watching he wont eat and when I step away BAM!, worms (I know, not mealworms) are gone!. As far as crickets he really is not that big of a predator cause he'll see the cricket jump in front of him and he'll just stay still, and some other times he will eat it. He hasn't eaten that much either, although he poops every day but he eats maybe like 5 silkworms every day and a couple of leaves of greens, but that's it. I've read about people here that have their beardies eat like 20 to 35 crickets in like 15 mins and mine doesn't do that. The temps are ok, humidity is also ok, like I said he gets natural sunlight every day, he's shedding, i bathe him every other day to help with his shed. So what do u guys recommend.

Here are some random photos that I took just now......OOOH his name is Venom.

full

full

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! Venom looks like he's nice and healthy. His appetite will fluctuate quite a lot so don't worry if he doesn't eat a lot some days. When he hits a growth spurt he will want lots of bugs. Other times he may not eat much. Just keep offering a nice variety for him. It's great that he gets natural sunlight. That's far better than any artificial lighting we can provide. It sounds like he is settling in well but it may take him a while longer to stop being skittish which is normal. Just be patient with him and he will adjust. I look forward to hearing about his progress and adventures.

DanyVRO

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the warm welcome. I'm very glad to be here. And thank you for the tips, I think it's just normal that I sort of worry too much about him since he's new to the family but I think he shows all the signs of a healthy dragon too.

Thanks again and cheers to you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom