Bearded Dragon Metabolic Bone Disease Tank Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I'm rescuing a beardie soon with bone disease. I am fully aware of the conditions he needs, and what kind of care he needs for his bones.
The vets have given me a smaller tank for him, as he cannot move a lot right now and they don't want to stress him out, plus he gets anxiety in larger tanks and will flip on his back.
For the UV and heat lamps, where should I put them on the tank and how far from the bottom? There isn't enough room to make two separate areas where it's hot, and cold.
The kind of heat lamp I have is not ceramic so it does give off light. The vet suggested I leave it on for 12 hours, turn it off for 12 hours. Same with the UV light, so they'd be off/on at the same times.
However, I have heard that the UV light should be on almost always.
How should I set this up, and what times do I need for the UV and heating?
There are next to no ornaments in the tank either, so he doesn't hurt himself.
He has only been eating crickets up to this point (they told me he refuses vegetables, will kick them back at the workers) and I was also wondering is there a way to wean him off of that? To ensure he's getting all the nutrition he needs?
Thanks in advance! Tommy and I appreciate it!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thank you for helping him out and giving him the care he needs. He will need to have everything set a bit lower and easier to access than normal. He will still need a tank that's big enough to provide a good heat and UVB gradient, but everything will just need to be flatter/lower than normal so he can still self regulate. He should have an area to bask in and an area that provides shade and shelter so he can hide and feel secure if he wants to.

Proper heat and lighting will be quite important for him. I recommend investing in a high quality UVB light such as this one http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/. It should sit about 12'' above the basking area for best results. For heat, I would use a PAR38 halogen flood light on a dimming thermostat so you can keep the temperatures in a set range more easily. You could use a manual lamp dimmer as well if you can keep a close eye on the temperatures. It's important to have an accurate reading though so I'd set a digital thermometer with a probe on the basking surface and one on the cool side surface so you can check at a glance.

I would keep a normal lighting schedule for him. About 14hrs of daylight is good. Keep the UVB light and the basking light on at the same time. They should both be off at night. If the temperatures in the tank stay above 70 you don't need any additional heat overnight. If they drop below about 65 you may want a ceramic heat emitter to bump the temps just a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom