New Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilfro

I got two bearded dragons(young) for my kids/myself. I honestly thought my 4 and 6 year old would tire quickly{like with fish) and id be the one caring for them after couple of months. But they are extremely attached to their pets still. While it may just be us humans putting emotions on the dragons that dont exist they always seem to want to be held and paid attention to. I cant believe how attached I've become. I started with the kit from petco, but have a larger tank ready to go soon. I just replaced the day light after reading post here.
My question is the black light. I honestly cant see any light from this but im guessing they can. My house gets really cold at night. Prob 60 and I afraid to turn it off and get these guys too cold. The one night I did it seemed like they took a lot longer to get active the next morning.
Could I plug the ceramic heater into one of the domes that come with the desert kit or should I upgrade the socket they go into.

Skipper7

Juvie Member
The dragons can, in fact, see the black light. If your house drops to 60 or lower a ceramic heat emitter is a must. I believe they can go into any dome, but I'm not sure. Are you housing the dragons together? If so, they need to be separated. Bearded dragons are naturally solitary animals and often don't tolerate others around them. Many of their behaviors that seem natural or cute when they are together are actually ways of showing dominance. If they aren't separated things can go downhill very quickly (i.e maimed or dead dragons.) There are several heart wrenching threads on this site about it if you care to look.

That aside, I'm glad you and your kids love the dragons. They can steal your heart! Many do have distinct personalities and do love human interaction. I'm sure you're not making it up :D .

Good luck, have fun! Welcome to being a beardie slave... I meant owner :lol:

If you want to post pictures and list your setup and temperatures people would be happy to help you perfect it!

pilfro

Original Poster
Thanks for your post, I have two tanks but honestly had no idea that they were not meant to be together so i'm setting up the second tank today. I started to wonder if their laying on top of each other was making one cooler than the other. Now I realize the smaller one isnt basking as much as the larger. Thanks a ton. The guy at the store could of told me this as he knew a lot about them and had two himself....Basking temp is about 96 and the other side about 80 during the day. Getting the ceramic today.

Skipper7

Juvie Member
Yep, laying on top of eachother isnt good. The dragon on top soaks up the heat and UV. You do have a UVB bulb, right? I'm glad your separating them early.

With babies you may want to bump the basking temp up to around 105-110. (Try leaving the CHE on during the day right next to the basking lamp or getting a stronger basking lamp.) Your cool side temp is fine. If you don't have a UVB tube, you should get one. It is essential to their health. The T5 and T8 fixtures and bulbs are highly reccomended. T5 can go on top of screen and T8 needs to be mounted in the cage.

Even when they're honestly trying to help, pet stores aren't always the greatest source for info. This site as well of a ew others are full of great info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom